Runners Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm supposed to go to army ranger school in April. Part of the test is 5 miles in 40 mins.

I've always been a slow runner with 2 mile times at around 15:30 - 16:00. In mid August I started doing HR zone running. Specifically, I just completed Matt fitzgerald's 80/20 running 10k intermediate plan. It's a 12 week plan (7 days a week of running, most at zone 2 with 2-3 days of speed work and a distance day at the end of the week where I do 6 miles.)

In sept I was able to do 2 miles in 14:20 (7:10 mile). Im 31 yrs old, I calculated my zone 2 to be between 135-150 but I try to also use the maffetone method for my zone 2 runs so I cap my HR at 145 to ensure I'm not slipping into zone 3.

I've been trying to be patient. When I started zone running my mile times were extremely slow @ around 15:00 min miles. I just chalked it up to having poor aerobic conditioning. But it's been 4 months and I've seen minimal improvement, I now do around a 14:00 - 14:30 min mile.

I did 2.5 miles today @ 7:30 pace. I was able to complete it but was exhausted, my HR got up to 210 bpm. There is no way I could maintain that pace for another 2.5 miles.

So here is my questions:
  • anyone have any tips? Should I switch to some other type of running plan?
  • does anyone have any thoughts on why I'm not seeing any real improvement?
  • I think im somewhere around a 43-45 min 5 mile, is it feasible to get it sub 40 mins in 3 months?
  • any other tips that may help me?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.