Runners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,

So here's a thing..

I can't, as per thread subject, stand on the tip-toes of my left foot. My right foot is fine btw.

When I try there's some mild pain but it's more like there's not enough actual strength to raise me up and I can't life the heel more than about an inch off the ground.

I can go tip-toe on both feet simultaneously, and solo right foot no problems at all.

It's been this way for about a week now and I'll be taking myself along to the doctors in a few if there's no significant improvement soon but I figured I'd throw the ball out there and see who catches it :)

FWIW my best guess is a torn or damaged Achilles tendon which needs a few weeks to heal but I've no pain when I pinch the Achilles area so....I'm probably wrong :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update No.1

Doctors here and at home are the same it seems - go along - wait for hours (well, 90 minutes) and then have a 5 minute (or less) consultation. I hate waiting, it's the reason I hardly ever go to the doctors - why can't they have appointments? Rawr!!

Anyhoo - On the plus side I did get an instant referral for an X-ray which I'll get done tomorrow at some x-ray type clinic thing. Fingers crossed they speak English ;p cos my german sucks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take a guess. Slipped disc.

Good luck :)
Good god I hope not - bear in mind I can stand fine one both feet and on my right. It's only my left that I can't.

Slipped disc...*shudder*

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, the x-ray showed nothing - and the doctor's English (and my german sucks) wasn't good enough to tell me what her guess was however, I now have a reference to an orthopaedic clinic. I've a one week wait but hey ho, that's the way the cookie crumbles and, at least, nothing's broken.

My personal suspicion has moved from an Achilles tendon issue to a problem caused by my left shoe over-compensating for my pronation.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be a stress fracture? They don't show up on x-rays if they are new.
I'll be getting more x-rays from the ortho when I go next week, including up to my knee so we'll see :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heh, almost two weeks after I first noticed the symptom, and 4 days before my Ortho appointment, I've finally seen some improvement. I can now lift my (injured) heel, without pain, to almost the same height as my right foot. Of course, I'm still none the wiser as to what actually caused the problem in the first place so it's gonna be pretty annoying if the recovery means the Ortho can't diagnose.

On the bright side, I'm no longer having problems walking.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, just saw the Ortho and he squeezed and prodded and concluded that I have "meta-tarsel thingamiewotsit" (German word less than successfully translated by me) caused by my ridiculously high arches and forefoot strikes.

I'm waiting to be measured for some insoles (to support my arches) but otherwise I'm free to run again.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scratch my optimism...ran today and the problem came right back. Still, at least I know what to look for...and am working on the assumption that the insoles will resolve the issue and that, until then, I'll go real easy on the running.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scratch my optimism...ran today and the problem came right back. Still, at least I know what to look for...and am working on the assumption that the insoles will resolve the issue and that, until then, I'll go real easy on the running.
Took 2 days to be able to stand on my toes this time (a vast improvement on when I think the problem first occurred).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I picked up the insoles this morning and took them for a wee 10km run this afternoon (just got back).

The good news is that, whilst I can still feel a bit of weakness in my left foot, I can stand on tip-toe so, fingers crossed, the insoles, and the additional arch support they provide have resolved the issue.

Huzzah! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just found this thread because I have this exact same problem! I was out for a run and suddenly my left foot hurt. I've been using ice on it, and I can walk fairly normally without pain now, but I can't raise myself on my toes on my left foot at all, though I can on my right. I am seeing the doctor in a week, but in the meantime I already have some arch-supporting insoles from earlier plantar fasciitis, so I will give them a try!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just found this thread because I have this exact same problem! I was out for a run and suddenly my left foot hurt. I've been using ice on it, and I can walk fairly normally without pain now, but I can't raise myself on my toes on my left foot at all, though I can on my right. I am seeing the doctor in a week, but in the meantime I already have some arch-supporting insoles from earlier plantar fasciitis, so I will give them a try!
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this too I injured my calf tibalius muscle and I think that is the cause. Standing on your tip toes together is the exercise my Physio has me doing to Strengthen it as well as ankle exercises and get a band and put it around the ball
of your foot and pull toward you it stretches the achilles too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hola,

So here's a thing..

I can't, as per thread subject, stand on the tip-toes of my left foot. My right foot is fine btw.

When I try there's some mild pain but it's more like there's not enough actual strength to raise me up and I can't life the heel more than about an inch off the ground.

I can go tip-toe on both feet simultaneously, and solo right foot no problems at all.

It's been this way for about a week now and I'll be taking myself along to the doctors in a few if there's no significant improvement soon but I figured I'd throw the ball out there and see who catches it :)

FWIW my best guess is a torn or damaged Achilles tendon which needs a few weeks to heal but I've no pain when I pinch the Achilles area so....I'm probably wrong :)
Curious if you ever got this figured out. Found this thread on a Google search. I have exactly same...cant go up on left tiptoe. Been dealing this 3 years. No obvious injury just a big endurance trainer...ironman, etc. Podiatry says 2nd metatarsitis or capsulitus. She wasn't sure if that causes my tiptoe issue and wonky gate. Saw Sports Med last week who notes a missing Achilles reflex on that side and is referring me to Neurology for further strength and reflex assessment and then likely nerve studies. Of course as a nurse I've diagnosed myself with a boatload of terminal illnesses.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts