Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am now doing 6.5k three times a week, lightweight I know, but now on every run I am finding myself stopping a few times :(

I used to manage without stopping, even a 10k, so I am getting a little upset.

Not sure if it is in my mind. I feel OK but seem to slow down before stopping.

Advice?

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Try varying the distance, and type of training..it can get a little tedious if you're doing the same thing each time you go out.

If you feel like stopping, just ease off the pace to a gentle jog for a while and then pick it up again gradually

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If you're on a dreadmill... Get outside and run.
If you're running outside... Change your route and don't time your runs. give your mind something different to focus on. Try to get away from thinking about the actual performance, and shift the emphasis onto the experience. If you're not enjoying it, there'a no real point continuing to flog yourself mentally or physically.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Gary

I know what you mean with your mind playing tricks on you. I'm running about the same distance as yourself a few times a week, I find it really difficult sometimes and I'm sure it's all in my mind. I've just realised I have no problem at all when I'm doing a trail run where not many people are about. If there is a lot of people about I run a lot worse, that's why I was really sh*te in the race I ran last week.:(

So I've decided to do a lot more road runs where all the abuse comes in and try and get over it. I'll start to tell all the w*nkers that hurl abuse to f*ck off :mad:as I really let them wind me up. Not sure if this is the same for you tho!

·
Registered
506 Posts
So I've decided to do a lot more road runs where all the abuse comes in and try and get over it. I'll start to tell all the w*nkers that hurl abuse to f*ck off :mad:as I really let them wind me up.
I'm sure this tactic will ensure that you carry on running and not stop for a while. lol:d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all

Thanks for the comments. Outside running, wouldn't know how to run on a treadmill :embarrassed:

Trin, will take your advice. I have been running the same route now for many weeks so I think I need to change it. Need to do this more often.

Dimple, I like hurling abuse too. Bumped into a wifey today on the pavement. She (and her partner) saw me coming and she only moved her ass a few inches to let me pass. A polite bump was required :p

I still love running and no way am I giving it up.

I'm off to MapMyRun to change my route for Tuesday. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i find making new runs hassle... i only really have two courses of five miles and this has done me fine... from this i have made it varied so i don't get bored... i vary running the course forwards and backwards and vary running each of the two courses (so that's 4 runs already)... i have a couple of variations where ran one course and add bits of the other course on so i get slightly longer runs of 6-7 miles (6 runs)... have i recently put both courses together to get a much longer run (so 7 runs in total from only 2)... i think you could do something similar where you can adapt the runs you are doing and have done previously to get more variety...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Trin, will take your advice. I have been running the same route now for many weeks so I think I need to change it. Need to do this more often.
Great... let us know how you get on :)

Bumped into a wifey today on the pavement. She (and her partner) saw me coming and she only moved her ass a few inches to let me pass. A polite bump was required :p
Sounds like an 'interesting' encounter :confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm off to MapMyRun to change my route for Tuesday. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Gary
I never run the same course two times in a row. I have two or three main runs but as these are cross country i take the odd different turn making the routes slightly varied every time. Also try to go running with a couple of people and we all take it in turns to do the route which is nice as sometimes its a complete surprise where you end up! :d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all

Trin, changed my run last night and managed it without stopping :d

Was about 1.5k shorter than my last run but I managed it in quite a good time so was happy.

Will have to keep changing routes.

Thanks all for the comments.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Nice one Gary.

Glad it went well.......

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This was my exact problem too Gary, i had done half marathons etc then all of a sudden i could not get around our training route of 5miles.... to say the least its very upsetting but i have re-trained my thoughts now to say its a little step back to go forwards again.

I feel good again now too :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys

Thanks for the comments. Leece, yes step backwards to go forwards. I am just hoping this is the case for me.

Next run tomorrow evening and looking forward to it :)

Cheers

Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts