Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this dosn`t seem a stupid question,but what are the alternatives to carrying a plastic water bottle on a 5-10 mile training run.I`m sure some of you experienced people have solved this problem in your own ways. Thanks,Dave.

·
Registered
220 Posts
For a 5-10 mile run, I would say that the plastic bottle is the best. Whether you carry it in your hand or on a waist-mounted bottle carrier is up to you, both have pros and cons. The bottle carriers can jerk up and down, and getting the bottle in and out can be a pain. Carrying in your hand can make your arm/shoulder tense up and can be uncomfortable.

I'd stay clear of camelbaks and the like for runs of less than 2 hours for comfort and practicality reasons.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Greg.Carrying in the hand it is then.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I remember going to a talk where a "top coach" {self titled ;-)} recommended not to drink anything on runs less than an hour in length.

For runs longer than that I normally try to stop off at a convenient water fountain - luckily that's possible on most of my runs as our local parks are quite well endowed with them.

A camelbak might be a bit extreme for a 10 mile run - but I know people who love them for their longer runs - so it's horses for courses I guess! If you are looking for one, then wiggle are selling them quite cheaply and there was a rumour somewhere about a cheap Tesco's own brand version.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You lot are certainly full of ideas,you have certainly given me something to think about.Thanks to you all. Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts