Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the cheapest accurate speedometer for running currently on the market?

I've looked at a few online and they are all more expensive than I would have expected.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
What have you looked at?

I'd say there was a slight contradiction in your question... as the cheapest is not going to be the most accurate by any means!

if you have an iPod nano then a Nike+ would be a reasonable starting point at around £20... failing that try decathalon, I tihnk they had something similar to the Garmin forerunner 305, so it may be worth seeing if they have anything cheaper and more basic too?

·
Registered
835 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
What have you looked at?

I'd say there was a slight contradiction in your question... as the cheapest is not going to be the most accurate by any means!

if you have an iPod nano then a Nike+ would be a reasonable starting point at around £20... failing that try decathalon, I tihnk they had something similar to the Garmin forerunner 305, so it may be worth seeing if they have anything cheaper and more basic too?
I'll go along with those comments, if you have an ipod then the nike+ sport kit is a great cheap gadget and surprisingly accurate if you have a stable stride/pace.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't mean the cheapest and most accurate. I meant a cheap but accurate speedometer.

That's a helpful recommendation, as I was looking at ones previously at £100-£150.
Sadly, I don't have an iPod Nano, but I was considering getting one anyway.

One other question, is the Nike+ compatible with other MP3/MP4 players such as a Samsung make or does it have to be the official iPod?

And thanks again.

·
Registered
835 Posts
elliot22 said:
I didn't mean the cheapest and most accurate. I meant a cheap but accurate speedometer.

That's a helpful recommendation, as I was looking at ones previously at £100-£150.
Sadly, I don't have an iPod Nano, but I was considering getting one anyway.

One other question, is the Nike+ compatible with other MP3/MP4 players such as a Samsung make or does it have to be the official iPod?

And thanks again.
It's only made for the official ipod I'm afraid, but for your £150 you'd be able to pick up both bits of kit. Have a look here to see it at work

If you do opt for this set up, I strongly recommend startfitness.co.uk to purchase the nike+ sport kit. I had to return mine and they exchanged it without any fuss. A lot of other favourable comments about them on this forum too.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
The GPS option is the most accurate Elliot.

The cheapest version I know is this.........http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/keymaze-300-20957205/

The most popular is the garmin forerunner 205/305. The 205 can be picked up for not much over £100.

I use the 205 myself and wouldn`t be without it.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
saw the decathlon model in store the other day.... looks similar to the 201.
not sure how the hardware & software compare tho.

but for 60-70 quid (i think) didnt look a bad option.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
elliot, if you do decide to go for an iPod nano, I've been thinking about getting rid of mine for a while now (8GB - Black, 3rd Generation [the new one]) as I simply don't use it much... so feel free to email/PM me if you're interested.

As has been said though, the Nike+ is an iPod nano only affair. For £60-70, a GPS device would undoutedly be more accurate though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. It's been a lot of help.
Richard, I think you'd be better off selling it elsewhere, because if I do get one, I'll probably leave it until May/June as I need to be sure that I'm really commited to running before I start spending too much money on it.
If you do still have it by then, please let me know though. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts