Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Richk and I was there!! We could have said hello if we knew you was going too.

We've done this race a few times and really like it. How did you get on?

Our race reports will be on the Somerset Series thread soon, because this race was the 15th, and penultimate race in the Series... one more to go :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually I didn't enjoy it very much today :confused:

But I'm looking forward to the 8th edition of this race on 08/11/08 :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i managed a 1hr 31 but really wanted to break the 1hr twenties, the wind took allot out of me, 10 mile in i was well ahead of my target time but tired on the last !
next year i will have push harder for the twenties. how did you guys get on ?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Well done CR! Good effort

Because Rich and I have been doing the Somerset Series, of which this race was one, my report is on the Somerset Series thread in the South West topics.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bad luck with the wind Chicken Runner, I had the same situation earlier in the year where I ended up a couple of minutes over 1:30 in windy conditions. I'm sure you will crack it next time.

Also if you are tiring in the last couple you could try finishing your long runs with a 1/2m finish for the last few miles. I've started doing these recently and they feel of benefit - though I don't have a race to back this up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks LJ not trying to sound too thick what do you mean when you say "1/2m finish for the last few miles", and really picking your brains what sort of millage do you do a week ?
Thanks for the feedback

CR

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi CR,

Sorry I should have made myself clearer. By a 1/2 marathon finish I mean that you run a long run at easy pace (say 8-8:15min mile pace if you are running 1:31 for a 1/2m) shifting to your 1/2m pace for the last few miles (6:55-7:00min mile pace), for example:

8 miles at 8:15min mile speeding up to:
3 miles at 6:55-7.00min mile pace
Total: 11 miles

For my last 1/2m in April I did 20 weeks averaging just under 20 miles per week training, after 6 months of maybe only a run a week (far too little, hence the lazy name...)

Since then I've decided to put some more time into it and am up to just under 30 miles per week. I've been doing runs like the one above for the last month & am adding a 1k interval session into my week too (few miles warm up - 5 x 1k at 10k pace with 2 mins jogs between - few miles warm-down). This is all to try and combat a lack of stamina.

What sort of training are you doing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks LJ i will have to try this.....
i try to run every other day, average around 20 miles a week, i know this isnt enough but finiding it hard with this dark weather coming in, in the summer I was doing approx 50 -60 miles a week. This is the first year for running for me and my partner "jothesnail" and we original started it just to loose weight and its just grew from there, and if she is reading this post "im not saying she had to loose any weight back then !!"...
i now have a position in the London marathon next year, so we have decided to join a running club to help motivate us in the winter....

·
Registered
348 Posts
CR,

Well you've obviously come a long way in a short time & congrats on the London Marathon Place. & wow on the 50-60 miles per week in the summer, from zero to that from January is pretty impressive.

The running club will help you keep your motivation through the winter I'm sure.

I've entered London myself (via the online ballot) so I don't hear until the 30th. Fingers crossed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts