Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I returned to running after a break of about 30 years and the removal of a disc from my lower spine.
I ran a hilly 10 k in november in 43minutes i'm 49years old .

My question to any of you is this .I do a physically demanding joband wonder if i should make any compensation for this in my training ?

I have entered a half marathon in march which is the reason for this post.

thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'd say it very much depended on what you do in your job... if it's stressing your lower leg muscles and joints then it may be worth taking into account, but if it's using your non running muscles then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you have the opportunity, you may find it useful to read the FIRST "3plus2" training program which encourages three hard runs a week and cross training sessions which help to improve fitness but without encouraging muscle fatigue that some may suffer from running all week. The training program may not be what you're after but there certainly information in there that relates to your situation. :)

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Welcome and well done on your return!

Richard's suggestion seems quite good.
What I did when I had my last physically demanding job was to do my hardest session on Sunday afternoon. I worked Monday to Friday and this would give me almost 48 hours of rest.
I would also try to fit in at least one more hard session in the week.
Usually on Tuesday or Wednesday as I would still not be worn down by 5 days'work and had had enough rest from Sunday's run.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!.

As with everything else in life there is no definitive answer.

I think it will be the old "listen to your body" and not to beat yourself up if you miss the odd run mantra that will probably work best.
thanks again

cheriton

1 - 4 of 4 Posts