Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wasn't really sure where to post this but need a bit of advice. i am new to running althuogh i use to run for my school when i was younger. last year i was diagnosed with asthma. when i run my chest really hurts. i take both my asthma pumps brown twice a day and the blue when i need it. i get to a point where my lungs give up and then i can't go any further. my legs probably could. after finishing a run it takes me ages to recover. when i say recover i mean my chest to feel less sore.

is it just that i am unfit or is it the asthma that makes my chest hurt?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
it sounds to me as if you haven't got your asthma controlled. You should go back to the GP or asthma clinic...wherever is appropriate and tell them your symptoms.

I have asthma and it took a long time before they got my meds right, now I'm on a brown and green inhaler both twice a day, and I now don't suffer any symptoms when running. Everyone is different and what's right for one asthma sufferer may not be right for another... you must get it checked, it's a serious matter

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw my gp today. she bascialy said that i need to keep takeing my asthma pumps and bascailly run thuogh the pian. she said that it wonet hurt as much when i get use to running. so i guess i jsut hvae to see waht happens.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I would monitor the situation if I were you....and if need be see a consultant privately. GPs don't get it right all the time....see various rants re NHS ....and my thread re SWMBO and her initial misdiagnosis

·
Registered
506 Posts
Sarah, do you take your inhaler before you run or do you wait until the symptoms kick in before using the inhaler? I have mild asthma, it's nothing like as severe as yours from what you've said but I always take 2-3 puffs whilst I'm warming up or lacing my shoes up. Do you do this as well? I do have sympathy - it was the worst thing before the doc told me I had asthma. I would, as the others have said, get your asthma meds re-checked again though. Lots of people still run with few symptoms once they've got the right treatment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did some trianing on a traedmill in the gym today. had a few puffs this monring as my chest was raelly bad. i thnik it is worse as my hayfever has been bad latey. i am giong to see some one in my gym on friday to have a goal seting session. i am hopeing thta thye can give me some advice as to my asthma. i will see how thnigs go for the next few weeks of running and thne see another gp if i need to. acctauly i thnik it was bad as my gym didnet know i was asthmatic even thuogh i told thme and thta i hvae prediabetes and am on medication for it.

i thnik i may contact the asthma uk help line and see if thye can give me any advice so i can go back to my gp.

thnaks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts