Runners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down at the start about an hour before the gun, dull and overcast with a hint of rain, very cold and a stiffish breeze. just before the start the rain came, my hands were blue and I was shivering and shaking took off my coat and joined the throng at the start, luckily we did not have to wait too long for the gun.
The first few miles were a blur, I was struggling to keep warm and I also felt 'disorientated' and to be honest I could have quit there and then, but decided to push on my intention was to keep at just under 3:40:00 pace and for the most part I was keeping to that, a few faster miles and a few slower but the average was OK @ 8:17 around 3:37:00 pace. with the cold wind and the on and off rain it was hard to concentrate and there was nothing to take your mind off the relentless slog, just uninspiring countryside, between 15 and 17 miles I got chatting to a guy who was pretty local to me and that helped but we parted ways at just over 17 miles and it was back to the tedium. At 18 miles I could feel I was slowing slightly and the 8:17s became 8:27 a couple of 8:42s then a 9:01 and an awful 10:16 in the last 2 miles I pulled it back with a 9:27 and a 9:05 but the damage was done. I crossed the line at 3:46:17. Not a great day and I will think long and hard before I attempt another marathon. On the plus side a great goody bag and a terrific long sleeved technical top.
I can't put my finger on what went wrong, my training went well and I felt in good shape but on the day it just did not happen.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
That sounds like nasty conditions. It's still a solid time you ran though. Well done.

Reactions: double5

·
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds like nasty conditions. It's still a solid time you ran though. Well done.
Thanks Claire, the time was OK, it is under the London GFA time of 4:00:00, but I feel a sub 3:40:00 was on the cards. There is always next time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts