Runners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been running for a few months and am looking to take part in a race, has any one else ran in this event and is it suitable for a reasonably new runner?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done this for the last 2 years, and whilst not the most scenic race,:rolleyes: it does start and finish on the commonwealth games running track, which is pretty cool. As to wether its good for a new runner? Id say yes you won't be last and except for a couple of inclines its pretty flat.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks for that, I've not a clue about races as I've never done one, only fun runs so far:)

I will enter this, just hope I don't show myself up. I am running 6 miles 3 times a week, but it's more like jogging and takes me about 50 minutes:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
dimple said:
Thanks for that, I've not a clue about races as I've never done one, only fun runs so far:)

I will enter this, just hope I don't show myself up. I am running 6 miles 3 times a week, but it's more like jogging and takes me about 50 minutes:eek:
Beleive me if you are doing 6m in 50mins you wont be last!:)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck guys go out and enjoy it especially being your first race, the feeling you get when you come over the finish line is tremendous.

:d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys I have just joined this web site, are only 4 months an half that I am running and i can't live anymore without it....thanks God!

I have read only now about Manchester 10k Race and I am so sad because i live in Stockport and was a great opportunity to make my first competition, but I didn't knew about it.....anyway will be for the next time.

I hope to know some new friends on this forum, maybe someone in my same area so we can organize some good runs together!!!!

(Sorry for my bad English :( but I am Italian)

See ya!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Buongiorno! Aerun, welcome to the forum, I live in Stockport too! If you are looking for a 10k don't forget your own local race run by Stockport Harriers it takes place in the local parks Woodbank/Vernon. I did this as my first race and its a good race although you have to go up a pretty steep hill three times!!

Here's the link: http://www.stockportharriers.com/files/offerton10k08.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
dimple said:

me TO MATE I DONE A 4.3 SECTION OF A MARATHON RELAY THIS WEEK BUT TIME WAS POOR, MAYBE 50 MINUTES I,M HOPING FOR A 10K IN JUNE, DON,T WANNA SHOW MESELF UP TIMEWISE. ANY GOOD TRAINING TIPS OUT THERE

·
Registered
52 Posts
kev said:
me TO MATE I DONE A 4.3 SECTION OF A MARATHON RELAY THIS WEEK BUT TIME WAS POOR, MAYBE 50 MINUTES I,M HOPING FOR A 10K IN JUNE, DON,T WANNA SHOW MESELF UP TIMEWISE. ANY GOOD TRAINING TIPS OUT THERE
Kev there really isn't any secret to it, just get out there 3/4 times a week and gradually build up distance/speed!:p

You can complicate it later(intervals, hill sessions, Fartleks etc..) and if you want to enter a race then go for it! Don't worry about times, positions if you can run the distance non-stop you probably won't be last!:d

Obi.

·
Registered
52 Posts
aerun said:
Ciao Obigone and thanks so much for the link, I didn't know about it and seems interesting, I'll check all info on the web site!

Where do you usually go to run?
aerun, I run the trails and footpaths around Stockport, there are lots of off road sections which I find more interesting than pounding the streets(less wear and tear too!).:d

I usually run in the morning(8:30am) before I go to work and I warm up in Vernon Park then set off to where I want to go. If you fancy it let me know and I'll show you some routes!:)

Obi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Morning Obigone, generally i run on the street, and from Hazel Groove where i live most of time and most of my miles are to Poynton, sometimes to Stockport on the A6, I have tried a couple of time Lime Park and Wilmslow Park but never off-road....it's more complicate then street ways?

aerun

·
Registered
52 Posts
aerun, your best bet living in Hazel Grove(Groove! Like it!) is the canal tow paths and the Middlewood Way which runs through HG. I did a 10k in that area, it went from the Ring 'o ' Bells in Marple, upto High Lane and back, I think they are doing it again in Sept.

Trail running, for me, is so much more interesting than plodding along the streets! The scenery is better for a start! And you don't get into arguements with cars! The undulating nature means you get a better workout than on flat uniform streets.

Ciao!
Obi.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.