Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been running for a few months and am looking to take part in a race, has any one else ran in this event and is it suitable for a reasonably new runner?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done this for the last 2 years, and whilst not the most scenic race,:rolleyes: it does start and finish on the commonwealth games running track, which is pretty cool. As to wether its good for a new runner? Id say yes you won't be last and except for a couple of inclines its pretty flat.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Thanks for that, I've not a clue about races as I've never done one, only fun runs so far:)

I will enter this, just hope I don't show myself up. I am running 6 miles 3 times a week, but it's more like jogging and takes me about 50 minutes:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
dimple said:
Thanks for that, I've not a clue about races as I've never done one, only fun runs so far:)

I will enter this, just hope I don't show myself up. I am running 6 miles 3 times a week, but it's more like jogging and takes me about 50 minutes:eek:
Beleive me if you are doing 6m in 50mins you wont be last!:)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Obigone said:
Beleive me if you are doing 6m in 50mins you wont be last!:)
I probably will be at the back, I just want to have a go:)

Some days it's 55 mins, I know when in a race you tend to faster, I can just imagine me now huffing and puffing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
My first race was a 10k too, the Stockport 10k, and my only concern was not to come in last!

As it happens the lady who did finish last got the biggest cheer of the day!:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Good luck guys go out and enjoy it especially being your first race, the feeling you get when you come over the finish line is tremendous.

:d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys I have just joined this web site, are only 4 months an half that I am running and i can't live anymore without it....thanks God!

I have read only now about Manchester 10k Race and I am so sad because i live in Stockport and was a great opportunity to make my first competition, but I didn't knew about it.....anyway will be for the next time.

I hope to know some new friends on this forum, maybe someone in my same area so we can organize some good runs together!!!!

(Sorry for my bad English :( but I am Italian)

See ya!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Buongiorno! Aerun, welcome to the forum, I live in Stockport too! If you are looking for a 10k don't forget your own local race run by Stockport Harriers it takes place in the local parks Woodbank/Vernon. I did this as my first race and its a good race although you have to go up a pretty steep hill three times!!

Here's the link: http://www.stockportharriers.com/files/offerton10k08.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ciao Obigone and thanks so much for the link, I didn't know about it and seems interesting, I'll check all info on the web site!

Where do you usually go to run?

·
Registered
5 Posts
dimple said:

me TO MATE I DONE A 4.3 SECTION OF A MARATHON RELAY THIS WEEK BUT TIME WAS POOR, MAYBE 50 MINUTES I,M HOPING FOR A 10K IN JUNE, DON,T WANNA SHOW MESELF UP TIMEWISE. ANY GOOD TRAINING TIPS OUT THERE

·
Registered
52 Posts
kev said:
me TO MATE I DONE A 4.3 SECTION OF A MARATHON RELAY THIS WEEK BUT TIME WAS POOR, MAYBE 50 MINUTES I,M HOPING FOR A 10K IN JUNE, DON,T WANNA SHOW MESELF UP TIMEWISE. ANY GOOD TRAINING TIPS OUT THERE
Kev there really isn't any secret to it, just get out there 3/4 times a week and gradually build up distance/speed!:p

You can complicate it later(intervals, hill sessions, Fartleks etc..) and if you want to enter a race then go for it! Don't worry about times, positions if you can run the distance non-stop you probably won't be last!:d

Obi.

·
Registered
52 Posts
aerun said:
Ciao Obigone and thanks so much for the link, I didn't know about it and seems interesting, I'll check all info on the web site!

Where do you usually go to run?
aerun, I run the trails and footpaths around Stockport, there are lots of off road sections which I find more interesting than pounding the streets(less wear and tear too!).:d

I usually run in the morning(8:30am) before I go to work and I warm up in Vernon Park then set off to where I want to go. If you fancy it let me know and I'll show you some routes!:)

Obi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Morning Obigone, generally i run on the street, and from Hazel Groove where i live most of time and most of my miles are to Poynton, sometimes to Stockport on the A6, I have tried a couple of time Lime Park and Wilmslow Park but never off-road....it's more complicate then street ways?

aerun

·
Registered
52 Posts
aerun, your best bet living in Hazel Grove(Groove! Like it!) is the canal tow paths and the Middlewood Way which runs through HG. I did a 10k in that area, it went from the Ring 'o ' Bells in Marple, upto High Lane and back, I think they are doing it again in Sept.

Trail running, for me, is so much more interesting than plodding along the streets! The scenery is better for a start! And you don't get into arguements with cars! The undulating nature means you get a better workout than on flat uniform streets.

Ciao!
Obi.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts