Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just plodded my way through the Clarendon, not fast, just under 5.5 hours. Thoroughly enjoyed the race but defo underestimated the training needed for the offroad ascents:rolleyes: I was planning on the Dartmoor Discovery as my next stretch target, has anyone done both that can tell me how the ascents compare, massively harder than the Clarendon or similar? Just so I can put together a sensible training plan to get me there for next year.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well done Choldy, I was sat on the wall at the school watching the finishers coming in. I ran Kings Sombourne to Sparsholt the day before on the Clarendon Way, pretty tough going with the hills and rough tracks, would make the FLM a walk in the park.

Well done for finishing, I'll be doing it next year!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Well done for finishing, I'll be doing it next year!
Bloody hell Lynn !!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a big ask.........

Good Luck.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Maybe the 'Half' then! It's a really killer run, lovely scenery, but not much support on the way. I would be happy to be able to do a respectable 'Half'. Good luck on Sunday Dave, I am hopefully doing the Chichester Priory 10k, but have been feeling 'sh1t' all week, so will give it my best shot:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Thanks.

Just go to Chichester and do your best.

You might surprise yourself.

Then you have got an excuse to celebrate.................:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I hardly think BP needs an excuse at all ....................... :p

:d :d Good luck in Chichester BP !! :d :d

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have a Go

Bagpuss you should defo have a go next year. This was my first attempt at the marathon distance and I immensly enjoyed the experience, even the painful bits:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Think I need to build on my stamina before attempting The Clarendon, a few less Jack Daniels might help. Always said I wouldn't do a marathon, but watching everyone, all shapes and sizes come across the finish, I was inspired to say the least. If they can do so could I:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
That's you hooked into a long 'un then Baggy....get that schedule written without delay!!

Yes master, right away! I always do as I'm told:d

Its not my legs doing the distance I worry about, it's the fuel levels, even with a very careful nutritional diet, my energy levels go all over the place. Even without running anywhere I can suddenly go funny and feel sick and dizzy. Have followed all the hyper-glycaemic diet advice and it can still all go wrong.:(

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Bagpuss said:
Yes master, right away! I always do as I'm told:d

Its not my legs doing the distance I worry about, it's the fuel levels, even with a very careful nutritional diet, my energy levels go all over the place. Even without running anywhere I can suddenly go funny and feel sick and dizzy. Have followed all the hyper-glycaemic diet advice and it can still all go wrong.:(
Perhaps if you didn't top up your water bottle with JD you'd be ok!:p :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Seriously though BAGGY it must be really frustrating to be foiled by not being able to control your body's needs. I assume you've surfed for info from others with the same problem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Seriously though BAGGY it must be really frustrating to be foiled by not being able to control your body's needs. I assume you've surfed for info from others with the same problem.

I did try ages ago. The main thing is to keep to complex carbs and wholegrain foods which break down slowly, avoid refined sugars and white flour type foods, even ripe bananas....too sugary, or too much caffeine which raises insulin levels. Difficult if you need an energy fix before a race, some energy bars cause such a dip after 20 mins so aren't much help. I know you have said before that you don't eat anything before running, sometimes I may be ok, other times I wouldn't get up the road. If I was consistantly like this maybe I could sort it out, but sometimes I'm fine, even after eating a pile of junk! I was that kid at school that used to pass out in asemblies if I had to stand up for too long early in the mornings after just a bowl of Sugar Puffs.

Need a new body:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Don't know how you can resolve this problem....I guess you'd have sussed it by now if there was a way. No medication available? I presume not.

It may be that you'll just have to concentrate on shorter runs...there's nothing wrong with that.

Whole body transplants....there's a thought!

Whose do you fancy?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Actually, I bought a runners nutritional guide book last week, I am still ploughing my way through it. Will let you know if it helps. :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Steve said:
Page 1.
Buy a large bottle of JD......:d

....and a Dairy Milk bar and a big bag of chips, oh and not to forget the cheese....Mmmmm I'm hungry now, have been up since 3:30, had lunch at 10:00am. Will go for a nice run in the sunshine this afternoon cheer myself up.:d

·
Registered
813 Posts
[
Whole body transplants....there's a thought!

Whose do you fancy?[/QUOTE]
Have always thought Clive James was cute (I know I am strange), but I wouldn't want to run with a body like his!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts