Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The club champs start tomorrow evening with the Bungay 10k on an out and back course. Lots of potential for a pb...got mine there last year. :d

As I'm still one of the walking wounded ( :mad: ) I've not entered yet but I may just jog the course slowly simply to pick up points rather than spectate and not get any! Probably not wise but there you have it!

There are 12 events to run in this year...6 under 10miles and 6 over 10 miles...and all count. Scoring is simple..it's a first past the post system with bonus points for those that complete 8 or more races. No age grading this year.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They used to say beware the injured sportsman...Gordon Greenidge ( a top notch West Indian opening bat for the uninitiated !) always seemed to score 100+ after coming to the crease with a limp.

The relevance here?

Would you believe...I still don't....I did a pb last night despite my ongoing injuries!! It was only a pb by 3/4 a second but if Bubka can do it that way then so can I!!

Even better I was second man home so gained lots of champs points. First LRR man home actually won the race and I was way behind him.

Perhaps this running lark isn't so bad after all!!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
If you was a golfer they might call you a bandit................:d

Fantastic effort Steve.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave said:
If you was a golfer they might call you a bandit................:d

Fantastic effort Steve.
You might be right! Always plead to play off 28 but never get away with it!!

How you going att he moment Dave?

Don't know about you but I'm happy we've signed Parker and not Barton.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Things are going pretty well at the moment thanks Steve.

Trainings gone pretty well for the Southend half on Sunday.Just hoping for no last minute problems.

Weather forecast is for it to be in the mid to high 70`s.If that is the case I wont be running very fast but it will be a new challenge for me to run in the heat.

Agree with you on the Barton/ Parker transfer.I think we`ve had enough problems with players with bad attitude.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Thanks Steve.

Well the weather forecast is now for much lower temperatures.(around 70 degrees).

I think a PB might be asking a bit much.But you never know,it is only my 2nd 13.1 miler.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ok thanks Steve.

1:57:48. Just over a minute outside a PB.

Considering the warm and humid conditions I was pretty pleased.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad effort at all in the conditions then Dave.

We always want to do better than before but that wouldn't be realistic. Sometimes a good race against a known competitor is better than the time run. The more often you race the more you get to know those in the field who are similar to you and with whom you can have your own private battle with.

Anyway regarding this thread the next Championship Race is on 8/7/07...a 5k, 5 person, relay. On the evidence of the last 10k I think I'll now get into the "A" side as the fastest 40+ Vet.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Cheers Granty.

You must be due another race soon.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
The Bristol 1/2 again in September (9th I think) - been putting in more miles for this one so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) I can join the 'elite' sub 2 hr gang :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Granty said:
The Bristol 1/2 again in September (9th I think) - been putting in more miles for this one so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) I can join the 'elite' sub 2 hr gang :d
You`ll be more than welcome Granty.............:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the Mutford Relays took place yesterday..the 2nd of 12 LRR club championship races. The other races are scored on position in the race....this one is scored on the time of the 5k leg run.
Official results aren't in yet so not sure where our 5 teams finished in the 2 races but I can say I was 6th out of 20 men and SWMBO was 4th lady club runner out of 5.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update....
In the main event our 1st team finished 6/27...one place better than last year...and our 2nd team 10/27 so we are pretty pleased with that for a small club.

The big difference between us and the quicker teams is a quick lady. Unfortunately we don't attract the faster lady as there is another local club which picks them up from junior level.

Our 1st team though did have the fastest male runner on the day.

Our 3 other teams, in the "B" race finished 3rd, 4th and 5th ...out of 5!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
3rd Championship event took place yeserday...The Scores only 4.75M but 409 steps and 3 climbs.
It was hot, but could have been hotter, and we had a strong breeze in our faces along the sea wall.

A former club runner, now with City of Norwich, won the race in a new record time beating the time set by Paul Evans ( admittedly sometime after his best racing years) a few years back.

Our mens team came 2nd overall and our ladies successfully defended their title from last year....though this year they were all ladies!!!!!!! (You'll have to go back to an earlier thread for the story.)

I was 6th home for our club runners and was fairly happy with the time considering recent injuries, the sun and the wind.

Next championship race Felixstowe 1/2M 30/9.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Good luck in the Felixstowe race Steve, i should have been there too but ill think of you while in Italy with my BIG glass of bubbly;)

1 - 20 of 175 Posts