Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Tuesday nights we do a standard route, known to all, at our own pace.

Last night there were 18 of us pounding the streets...10 men and 8 women....and when the last runners came in those who had finished first, some 20mins earlier, were still at the finish to acknowledge the efforts of the slower runners. Great for team morale! :d

On Thursday nights we have a structured session where we run together so nobody is too far away from everyone else. Lots of encouragement at these sessions which normally involve hill or speed work.:eek: Less tend to turn up but still between 8-12.

How many turn out for your club runs?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Somewhere between 100-150 people I would say, difficult to judge though. We are a big club though with 450+ members.

We split up into about 10 groups. Biggest group has about 30 people regularly running. The group I run with rarely has more than 10. But it's club rule's that whatever the session everyone in your group starts together and everyone finishes together.

The problem with it is that it's difficult to get to know other people in other groups.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hammerite said:
Somewhere between 100-150 people I would say, difficult to judge though. We are a big club though with 450+ members.

We split up into about 10 groups. Biggest group has about 30 people regularly running. The group I run with rarely has more than 10. But it's club rule's that whatever the session everyone in your group starts together and everyone finishes together.

The problem with it is that it's difficult to get to know other people in other groups.

That's more like a small village out running....not a running club!:d

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Mine has about 60 members but they don't all turn up on club nights - we also have a group of walkers as well. We usually have 3 routes on club nights: short, intermediate, long. When I first joined it was reasonably structured I joined the run/walkers and we were taken out with a more experienced runner. Now as we mostly run we sort of fend for ourselves I usually run with one woman who runs at a similar pace but generally we never see sight nor sound of our fellow club members once we've got past the start. I reckon they all go back to the club house once we've set off.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
My running club is the same as Steve's, in that Tuesday is a tempo run and everyone always waits at the end to make sure everyone gets back alright and also have a chat.

Thursday is speedwork so we always train together.

Sunday is the long run - everyone starts of together, but inevitably we split into groups depedent on pace.

Weeknight runs might attract 10-15 max and the Sunday morning runs around 5-10.

·
Registered
244 Posts
admin said:
Sure is a big club you've got there hammerite - how many coaches do you have?
Most groups have 2 coaches. Some groups have more. The beginners group has about 5 for all the varying beginners abilities.

I'm new to the club but I was most impressed when I read in the committee minutes that they'd bought a load of bikes for coaches who are injured to use on club nights so they can still take there groups up. Sure are an organised bunch.

My old club (I left them because I moved about 100 miles south), had about 200 members with about 70 out regularly on club nights. Things weren't as organised, but it meant that you got to know people easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts