Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading other thread discussing supplements ie protein shakes. At what sort of running distance would you recommend having one at the end of a run? I'm only a newbie and not running much distance YET however I would like to know for future reference.

Cheers Nat

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I don't take them myself, but I guess anything upward of 15 miles?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
That sums up the protein supplement question for me.

Trinity has signed up for an Ultra and doesn't use them!

I would guess the obvious is my attempt. Cut out the rubbish (apart from the occational bit of what you fancy), eat a balanced diet which should include enough of most things for my needs and increase the exercise levels (box ticked).

Smiler, I guess you are probably doing this for similar reasons to me; ie to lose some weight and get fitter. Definately spend a few quid on the trainers, apart from that everything else is pretty much optional.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep you got it in one.
Already on the weight loss train and newbie to the running. I have been eating plenty of protein today to help mend my tendonitis as well as eating lots of fruit and veg. My downfall is wine however with the new fitness plan I'm not craving it like I use to.

Shelled out for some decent trainers today and can't wait to test them out. Will see how the knee is Tuesday.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep you got it in one.
Already on the weight loss train and newbie to the running. I have been eating plenty of protein today to help mend my tendonitis as well as eating lots of fruit and veg. My downfall is wine however with the new fitness plan I'm not craving it like I use to.

Shelled out for some decent trainers today and can't wait to test them out. Will see how the knee is Tuesday.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Smiler said:
Yep you got it in one.

Wine has been my achillis heel as well. No matter how well I do through the week a couple of bottles over the weekend can undo all the good. I am finding that I prefer not to drink more often as I get fitter, but still slip sometimes.

Glad you got the trainers. I hope they work for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hehe. You cant deny yourslef som red wine. Its far too good!

Smiler. I started a thead all about protein supplements. I just realised i missed out some sections i should have included but its too late at night for me now. Way past my bedtime. :rolleyes:

I dont thinkyou would benefit from one unless you dont enjoy eating protein sources like chicken, fish , meat etc.

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/nutrition/3551-all-about-protein-supplements.html

·
Registered
147 Posts
Scarbib_jack said:
Hehe. You cant deny yourslef som red wine. Its far too good!

Smiler. I started a thead all about protein supplements. I just realised i missed out some sections i should have included but its too late at night for me now. Way past my bedtime. :rolleyes:

I dont thinkyou would benefit from one unless you dont enjoy eating protein sources like chicken, fish , meat etc.

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/nutrition/3551-all-about-protein-supplements.html
Seems like some ones on commision.

Do you get a free t-shirt too?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Smiler as long as you keep a balanced normal diet.....you shouldnt need protien suppliments. I think this guy has a sales pitch going or something.

Im using them for reasons, and trust me (with out being big headed) your regime will never get to this....unless you want to join the forces.

Put it this way......we all agree tha Royal Marines training is the hardest recognised basic training by any other NATO force (its a fact) And all recruits get fed 4 times a day.....and thats enough to produce some of the toughest soldiers out there.

The 32 weeks schedule is hard, very very hard......but do you see protien supplements.....nope, no where to be seen.

Just a good diet.

And thats all you need, dont waste your money.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im Sure Smiler will actually read my post and realise I suggested she would not benefit from a protein shake.

Play nice now stacka.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts