Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to stick to my schedule in order to prepare for a 10k run my company is hosting but I keep on getting sick. I m a bit disoriented with that! I eat fruits in the morning to get as much vitamin C as possible but still I am getting sick. A friend a of mine suggested I use Sambucol which is made of of black elderberry and which is full of natural antioxidants. I was wondering if anybody knows about this product and/or if anyboday has any miracle suggestion?

Thanks. Tom.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Echinacea! Go get some from Holland and Barrett and take it every day. It will boost your immune system.

Some people say you can run so long as the cold is in the head and not the chest. But I believe that if your body is trying to fight off a cold, whether it's in the head or the chest, then you shouldn't put any more stress on it with running. Taking a few days off to allow your body to recover will mean that it's back to full strength much quicker.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Possibly against all science, knowledge and common sense, but if I have a cold/man flu it makes me even more determined to get out for a run, and I'm sure I feel better for it afterwards!

If I feel like I can run, then I will, it's only if I truely feel awful that i'll stay in.

GET WELL SOON TOM!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If I go for a run on the tail end of a cold, it actually clears out my system pretty well.

Anyway, get better soon :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips !
I guess running through it helps get ride of the toxins. Will try that ;) along with some Echinacea and Sambucol to give me the energy and boost the immune system. Maybe we got the miracle remedy!

Thanks. Tom.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, let's not run when we are ill... my friends' dad knows someone who raced pushbikes, and did so whilst getting over the 'flu and he died due to increase load on the heart. Not good everyone.

Prolonged use of Vitamin C (1000mg a day) can have adverse effects, so don't overdose.

More likely it's due to insufficient Iron. You should be looking at aruond 30-36mg a day, but to absorb it properly you need 5 parts Vitamin C which puts your Vit C requirement up from 60mg (RDA) to arounf 180mg. Lack of iron can lead to anaemia, and supressed immune system.

Just a thought? Get a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement and use it for a couple of weeks to see if you have any improvements.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I have to confess that I generally feel OK after a run with a cold, unless like others have said it on the chest whereupon I can't breathe very well and don't run.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
General rule seems to be........

If the symptoms are above the neck,carry on running.

If they are below the neck,rest.

Thats not to say that I follow the rules..........

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
To be honest I think you'd probably find the above rule is self implementing... as has been said, if you have a cold in the chest your body will tend to discourage you from going out anyway!

I often wonder if the feeling better after running with a cold is perhaps a psychological thing? i.e. getting out and being active rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
richardsimkiss said:
I often wonder if the feeling better after running with a cold is perhaps a psychological thing? i.e. getting out and being active rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself?

I shall test this theory tonight...feeling like death warmed up...but from neck up only!:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Well I did 8.5m with my man flu ,in wind and rain too, and felt fine throughout. Went slowly due to the groin injury so that would have helped no doubt.

Still feel like death today though!

Sympathy anyone?

Thought not!!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You may have felt fine but you have just prolonged your man-flu because you put your body under more stress while it was trying to fight something.

So no sympathy from me I'm afraid :p

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you raise your blood alcohol level high enough, the bugs will be unable to survive :d

Only problem is, your own cells die off at a much lower level :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really impressed with people who can drink and jog. If I drink (and belive me I am nothing of a heavy drinker) I am not able to run the next day.
But always interesting to hear everyones little remedies.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
It really isn't a good idea to run if you have, or are beginning to get, cold or flu. Running can lower the immune system so it can take longer to fight off the virus. You are probably also more prone to injury if running when not fit. Best thing to do is just lay off the exercise, eat well and drink plenty of water then come back fighting fit. Fortunately, I seem to be one of those freaks that rarely gets colds. I get a 24 hour sniffle once ever 2 or 3 years. Never had a full blown cold, flu or chest infection, which is surprising since I used to smoke 20 cigs a day.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
JBBury said:
It really isn't a good idea to run if you have, or are beginning to get, cold or flu. Running can lower the immune system so it can take longer to fight off the virus...

This is true... providing you are training to international standard, placing your body under maximum stress by ploughing through 100+ miles a week, running twice a day, with a couple of hard interval sessions thrown into the mix.

Does anyone here train like that? :confused:

Illness can certainly limit what you can do... But should rarely stop you altogether.
It will always come down to personal choice in the end.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts