Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says on the tin :),

Which is best for you (not necessarily which you prefer) after coming in after a long sweaty run, is it best to jump in a nice warm bath, or a nice invigorating cold shower ?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Cold shower definately best....having one though is another matter!!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
depends on session and season...

winter = hot shower
summer = cool shower
incredibly hard session = very cold bath / shower on bottom half (if I can feel i'm going to be stiff the next day)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I usually sit down to read the posts on here and complete my training blog - before crawling to a medium shower!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I have showers all the time, really hot ones and once I'm in I don't like to get out, I can stand under there for ages and then turn it to an even higher temperature.

No wonder my bloody water bill is so high.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Cool water either in a bath or shower is best.

When you exercise, your blood vessels open wider and stay that way for at least an hour afterward. Soreness occurs when waste products like lactic acid settle in your muscles through these dilated vessels. Colder temps constrict vessels, limiting the amount of waste product that accumulates.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Cool water either in a bath or shower is best.

When you exercise, your blood vessels open wider and stay that way for at least an hour afterward. Soreness occurs when waste products like lactic acid settle in your muscles through these dilated vessels. Colder temps constrict vessels, limiting the amount of waste product that accumulates.
Smart Alec! :p

Leave me to my dream that the warm bath I am about to enjoy is going to ease my aches :'(

·
Registered
635 Posts
I usually wait for a few hours then go for a warm/hot bath. Works for me. I could not have a cold bath/shower

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have problems with shin splints etc then standing in a bin of ice water is the best thing you can do. Personally I'll be damned if I'm doing anything like that! I like a lukewarm shower, never have been able to have it really hot but cold takes the biscuit.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
I heard the worst thing you can do is get in to a hot bath because due to thee excercise your muscles are swollen and by getting in to a hot bath you can actually make them swell more which can lead to muscle damage..a cold or cool bath contracts and helps ease the swelling.

I personally wait a good 30mins before going for a very quick refreshing shower.

O.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Got injured in my shower this morning. Overslept, ran into shower, slipped and not half bruised my leg it bloody hurts now when I walk.

Nice start to the week:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts