Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, not often I start a thread but decided today I would (mainly as there are no new posts for me to view :p)

What do you guys wear on your winter runs? In the past i've always made do with my summer kit or at worst a long sleeve top - time methinks to invest in some more kit :d One problem that's stopped me wearing big heavy jumpers etc in the past is that I tend to heat up after a mile, at which point i'm quite happy in shorts n shirt in the freezing cold! lol.

I've just bought myself a Helly Hansen thermal top which I love and have been wearing around the house as it fits so nicely. But other than that I'm thinking perhaps a flourescent/hi vis top/jacket of some sort to wear over the top. Something that would ideally stop me soaking through if I get caught in the rain too. Anyone any recommendations?

Also I'm *considering* some compression trousers (I refuse to call them leggings :embarrassed: ) And tried on some Under Armour ones which I quite liked - anyone have any leads for cheap prices? (preferably not related to shoes361 who seems to know all the best discount stores around lately :p )

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm mostly the same as for Summer, the only difference is that I had a lightweight waterproof golfing jacket when it hammers down.

Hat in the extreme cold.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was much the same as in the summer until recently. Shorts and a t-shirt. Then the clocks changed and I was running in the dark which got colder and colder. I always found that like you I was only cold for the first mile and was sweating like a heffer by the 2nd mile. So I added a hooded top. Bad move, the hood bounced on my back as I ran and drove me nuts. I cut the hood off.

So for a good few weeks that was my kit and if I got really hot I could take the sweatshirt off and tie it round my waist and just run in a t-shirt. Then one night last week I went for a run and it was about -5 and I got halfway round and couldn't do it and ended up having a long walk home drenched in sweat on a frosty night. I got some thermal compression trousers and not had a problem since. I wear my shorts over the top which probably makes me look an even bigger muppet but in my head I think it looks more urban (innit) Got mine in Millets for about £12

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Tracksters, short sleeved top and waterproof...with woolly hat if it's really cold or windy. I always get too hot but as it's a training run I can slow down if I want to.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Start the run slightly cold, you'll warm up soon enough. Better to wear several thin layers than one or two thick layers, as thinner layers can be taken off more easily.
You don't necessarily have to wear compression leggings, can just wear normal running tights or tracksters?

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Katten said:
What exactly do they compress? :eek:
:d

In the Scottish Winter, gloves and a water/windproof.
In the Lisbon Winter, a long-sleeved top and, once in a while gloves.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
if it is really cold I will wear full length running leggings, running top and jacket, gloves and hat.

Or 3/4 leggings and long sleeved running top if reasonably mild.

Have you tried any of the moisture wicking running clothes they really do make a difference as they keep the sweat away from you and you don't then get cold?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a hat is probably the last resort for me... anything other than extreme cold and a hat makes me far too hot. Fancy technical clothing rocks - though I always feel it never works quite as well after a few washes :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would recommend a hi vis jacket, only Thursday evening (5.30pm) this week unfortunately a local jogger (Worcester) was knocked down and killed. He was apparently hit by 3 cars.
On a lighter note, Lidl have some thermal sports wear in this week, tried mine out on the malvern hills, brilliant. £12.99 each, tops and bottoms, ladies and mens. Like a second skin! fits under everything.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
vikksen said:
I would recommend a hi vis jacket, only Thursday evening (5.30pm) this week unfortunately a local jogger (Worcester) was knocked down and killed. He was apparently hit by 3 cars.
My running club's insurance won't cover any accidents if we're not wearing hi-vis vests. Thet're a worthwhile investment, IMO.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Hi-viz is the way to go!
Motorists are not aware that other people use the road sometimes. It saddens me when I see people in all black on dark nights running on the road! Are these runners suicidal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recently bought some really cheap thermal underwear - Tchibo - got 2 sets of long johns and long sleeved top for 10 quid, and also bought a Tchibo running top for 10 quid. Seemed very good value, and they have worked well so far. I realised I needed new clothes a few weeks ago when I went out on a cold night and the sweat on my back felt like ice once the wind started blowing. It was horrible. So wicking clothes really help, and you don't always need expensive brands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The way the weather's been the last few weeks I've been gearing up whilst training! I wear a long sleeve adidas top (one of the tight ones like the helly hansen one, but slightly thinner). I also wear a high-vis jacket over the top too as I've been training at night since the dark nights came in - which forces me to run more on roads/paths than I'd like!

If it gets really cold I wear running gloves & a wooly hat too, and find that it they stop the unnoticeable cold getting in & causing cold/flu etc. As for the legs, I stick to my normal Tracky's - can't bring myself to wearing those spandex things as I couldn't stop a pig in a corridor (have legs like a Bilbo Baggins!). :d

1 - 18 of 18 Posts