Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that it's warming up now but does anyone have ideas to make cold running easier. I did recently did a 20 minute jog that I found harder than my last 10 mile run. Only difference was air temp of about -4 and a wind chill that probably took it to -15. My legs just didn't have any energy in them..

Cheers

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hello lexi :)

My advice would be to wrap up warm and snuggle up on the sofa wiv a mug of hot chocolate until about erm.... May, when it's nice and warm (relatively) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
105 Posts
layers is the answer. long sleeved shirt plus a hoodie, balaclava, gloves and winter thick tracksters or a pair of tights under summer tracksters.

and a willy warmer :d

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Yes, layers.
I also find that in extreme temperatures it's useful to, before leaving home, put feet and hands under hot water until they feel really warm and only then putting the gloves and socks on.
A band or hat to protect the ears and, if possible, starting into te wind so that you won't feel the chill of running back, already sweating, into it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
i am indeed serious. as the duke of edinburgh would say "one's bell end gets flaming perishing" if one was circumcised as a baby. i use old socks from when the kids were small, especially when wearing shorts in sub-zero temperatures, so they are usually called cock socks rather than willy warmers. i actually lost one at about 12.5 miles on the Clowne half this year, so if anyone found it you know who's it is.

Too much information? Well you asked for it :d

p.s. i promise to put my x socks on my feet only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had just been going out in my Ron hill running tights which probably didn't help. Thing it I've only got a small selection of my running kit at the moment. The rest is either mid atlantic or kent !! got a nice new thermal top though with a lightweight jacket on seems to help.. it's just my face that gets cold now !! Other prob is if your in the sun and sheltered it feels very warm get into the wind or shade and it's another thing all together. Had been thinking about an attempt at the New York Qualifiying time but only got until 1st May which with the running I'm doing just isn't going to happen.. Thanks for advice ( I did go out in -8 air temp this week!!)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi lexi!! Good to see you :) Well done on the training in those temperatures!

chrisity said:
i am indeed serious. as the duke of edinburgh would say "one's bell end gets flaming perishing" if one was circumcised as a baby. i use old socks from when the kids were small, especially when wearing shorts in sub-zero temperatures, so they are usually called cock socks rather than willy warmers. i actually lost one at about 12.5 miles on the Clowne half this year, so if anyone found it you know who's it is.

Too much information? Well you asked for it :d

p.s. i promise to put my x socks on my feet only.

Well, they say you learn something new every day... but I'm not entirely sure that I wanted to learn that chrisity :confused:

I hesitate to ask this but was just wondering..... how does it stay on? (although I guess it didn't at the Clowne half...wonder if an unsuspecting marshal picked it up)

·
Registered
105 Posts
very tempted to answer with some rude explanation or boasting, but the shorts keep it in place (and the sock). at clowne my shorts had a slack leg elastic which caused the loss.

should you ever go for a sex change you can also use a glove when your hands have warmed up :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts