Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a silly experiment I raced a 1/2 marathon with a cold.
On so many levels it was both the right and wrong thing to do, and no I wouldn't do it again.

Any one else willing to share their experience of training/racing with colds or coughs etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I go by the rule of "if its above the neck run / race, below the neck rest". I can cope with copious amounts of snot, coughs, wheezes and headaches and take stuff to keep on top of it for a short time, but when the aches or fevers set in, time to rest. Going for a run often makes me feel better than sitting indoors feeling sorry for myself.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Ran with a fever once... Intense cross country session...
I spent the next 2 weeks in bed with the worst fever ever in my life.
Would I have felt that way even if I hadn't done that run?
I don't know... But I have been much more careful since...

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I ran the Cardiff marathon in 2004 with food poisoning from a meal that I had the night before... I shouldn't have run, it was a horrendous experience, but I didn't realise til I was practically on the start line and I gradually got more sick as the race went on.

I struggled to the finish in 4.03 though.

I was very sick for a couple of days after

·
Registered
24 Posts
hejori said:
As a silly experiment I raced a 1/2 marathon with a cold.
On so many levels it was both the right and wrong thing to do, and no I wouldn't do it again.

Any one else willing to share their experience of training/racing with colds or coughs etc.
I reckon running with a head cold is ok and I've found in the past it clears it a bit! But any aches or fever or systemic signs and I would avoid - felt awful when I tried to run like that just after Christmas. I heard somewhere that the reason we should be careful about running with viral illnesses like these is because of rare cases of triggering a viral pericarditis (ie where lining of heart can get inflammed) This is rare but still a good reason to have a day off training when feeling rubbish! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a head cold for a week now. So haven't done any running. I personally believe that you should wait for any bout of illness to subside. I've also got a slight chest cough, so I'm quite happy to give it another week before attempting to get back in to my stride.

If above the head run/race. If below the head don't be foolish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I go by the rule of "if its above the neck run / race, below the neck rest".
This was very true for me a while back I only did a 6 miler one morning and didn`t feel great at the start of it (1st mistake I guess). About 2-3 miles in my stomach was giving me really bad swelling and deflating feelings. About .5 mile from home that was it in the bushes ............every thing from below the neck left me............

Was about three days before getting out again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if i have a cough and cold i tend to take a few days off otherwise i find it hangs about longer! just past experience..so that few days rest gives it a chance to go instead of running/racing and taking to much out of my body

·
Registered
227 Posts
Having a cold is so frustrating, i have one at the moment...its not terrible but its quite chesty, cough + runny nose.

I injured my knee a few days before xmas, and its feeling ok now but now i have this stupid cold! I've ran once in nearly 3 weeks it's getting ridiculous now! All i want to do is get my mileage up and get as fit as i can before my next race in March but i just have to rest! Rahhhhh!!!!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
As my littel boy has just started nursery i've consistantly got some sort of illness,, cough, clods e.t.c, i just have to run through it.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I run through a cold even a below the chest cold.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can I just annoy the hell out of everyone and say I don't get colds anymore. Don't know why, I don't do anything clever, take desicated panda extract, or have some secret.
I am very greatful as up to being about 19 I'd get 3 or 4 a year stinkers and drown in snot.
Wonder how slow my running would be if I did !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts