Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I'm self treating a lower leg injury (couldn't put weight on it) - that is treating by not running at all! Have been out of action for 4 weeks now & doing lots of cycling and swimming, it does seem to be getting better. Anyone have tips about 'starting again'? My weekly mileage was a slow plod through 15-20 miles.. Should I start from scratch ie run - walk for minutes only?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wondering the same thing...

Hi
I have just posted more or less the same question myself under new member section, only mine is hip injury and I have been out of action for less than two weeks.
Am GAGGING to get back to do something - the most I have ventured is half an hour walking and even that hurts. Cyclling doesn't hurt, at least not at the time, but it does afterwards.
Common sense tells me to rest until it is better...but I am so keen to get out there again, I guess I am hoping that someone will tell me to run through the pain!:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think the general consensus it to start off easy. I don't think you need to start from scratch, but it is important to listen to your body. Your first run should be a mile, then wait 48 hours and run 2 miles, then wait another 48 hours and run 3 miles. Slowly building up your mileage will enable you to listen to what your body is telling you and avoid further injury.

I also found that lots of stretching has helped recovery. Stretching was something that I never really did pre injury.

And always remember the 10% rule, never increase you mileage by more than 10% from week to week.

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also, don't run until at least a week after you think the injury has gone. I made the mistake of trying to run through the pain, and it only kept me out longer, 3 month to be exact. It is not fun being injured for 3 months, but I did a lot of cycling, cross training and swimming, and have only recently (1st June) got back to running. I completed my first race since march on wednesday evening, and I am only about 30 seconds per mile off the pace I was pre injury, so keeping up general fitness while injured is important so that you don't take as long to get back if you had done nothing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I jsut want to echo what BB has said.
I have a stress fracture of the tibia and I made the mistake of running (only a short distance) on it before it was fully healed. That has set me back 2 weeks.

Make sure you are pain free for 2 weeks and that you can hop on that leg without even slight pain.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wise words, mate!

Thank you all...since I first asked the question, the pain has suddenly and miraculously gone. I have been walking and swimming which feels fine and also doing stretching and strengthening exercises, and was intending to try and mile walk/run tomorrow to see how I got on.
HOWEVER, I think your suggestions are eminently sensible and I should wait at least a week, even though it feels fine, and just do walking and cycling in between (plus my usual weight training).
It's really great that you've all taken the time to read and reply - I've looked this up endlessly on the internet and in books, etc., but there's nothing like listening to fellow runners/sufferers to get the best advice, is there?!?!?:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
neppyjane said:
Thank you all...since I first asked the question, the pain has suddenly and miraculously gone. I have been walking and swimming which feels fine and also doing stretching and strengthening exercises, and was intending to try and mile walk/run tomorrow to see how I got on.
HOWEVER, I think your suggestions are eminently sensible and I should wait at least a week, even though it feels fine, and just do walking and cycling in between (plus my usual weight training).
It's really great that you've all taken the time to read and reply - I've looked this up endlessly on the internet and in books, etc., but there's nothing like listening to fellow runners/sufferers to get the best advice, is there?!?!?:)
you are right, the advice and experiences of others are often better than trawling through hundreds of web pages, and is sometimes even superior to that of so-called professionals!
I was advised by a physio never to run again! I was gutted, until I found loads of others on the net who had received the same advice but had subsequently gone on to find solutions to their problems!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good advice

Cheers folks, was going to get back out there this weekend as pain gone but for minor twinges... reading your comments about going out too soon.. perhaps I'll wait another week.. My plan (with no more than 10% increase) will wait just a little while longer..
I must not run I must not run I must not run I etc etc.....:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
JenT

Please rest! I had shin splints and like yourself it nearly killed me not to run! It really is the only way to make sure that your leg will heal up again. i have only started running again after 7 weeks of rest, though I went to the gym and done some weight training instead. Increase your milage very slowly as said before when you get back in.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts