Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing runs once a week for four weeks now, 2 minutes walking, 2 minutes running and repeating this sequence according to which week I was on – first week was 4 times, second week was 5 times, third week was 6 times and last night I managed 8 times (I've mainly been using an outdoor grass track but last night I used the treadmill on a 1% incline). Thing is I’m sure I’m not getting any fitter. Even after the 2 minutes running I feel like I’m going to pass out! By the end of the work out I feel like I’m dying and last night I even felt a little light headed. My earphones fall out every time which is really annoying so I’m now going to have to find some that stay put even with a tragus piercing as I’m spending more time concentrating on putting them back all the time than I am the actual running!

I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong as there are people around me (both in the gym and on the track) seem to be able to run quite easily for 30 minutes or more. I’m still struggling with the 2 minutes! Surely I can’t be that unfit (I do belly dancing, ice skating and hip hop dance classes all once a week)?

Any tips would be appreciated – also if anyone knows of good earphones I would love some advice.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome to RF Phoenix.

Earphones I know nothing about.

I respect of your training,the first thing you might want to try is slow down your run a tad.

The biggest mistake people make is to try and run too fast.

Keep us informed of how things are going ,and I`m sure there will be plenty of advice for you.

All the best.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I went through a period of not really seeming to get much fitter when I started training again after an injury - about 4 weeks seemed to be the period, after that I went from strength to strength. I think it can vary from person to person how long it takes for fitness levels to actually start going up dramatically from the point an exercise regime is started.

Also comparing yourself to what others are doing/can do is one of the biggest mistakes - they might have been doing it a lot longer, have more fitness already, etc etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You are getting fitter though!

First you were repeating the exercise four times, now you're doing it eight times, that's getting fitter in my eyes!

Each sport or exercise is different, so although you may be fit you don't have the 'miles in your legs'. I'd agree with Dave, try slowing things down. Next time do the same repetitions at a slower pace but run for 3 minutes and rest for two, see how that goes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can't really add anything to the comments so far - only wanted to say that adjusting your speed will probably make a huge difference. If I go at 9 minute mile pace I can run for ages quite comfortably, if I increase to 8 minute mile pace - it fairly soon becomes a near death experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the help, I'm feeling much better, I might slow it down (although I'm not sure how fast I'm running at the moment). The next step on my running plan is to increase the runs to 3 minutes and 2 minutes rest so from what fandango said at least I'm headed in the right direction!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Phoenix - you have discovered the concept of specificity.

I am hopeless at belly dancing, roller hockey and hip hop dancing because I don't train for them.

Elite athletes would probably be elite at anything because they are physiological beasts but for mortals like us - we need practice and what ever we practice - we get better at

Don't beat yourself up - your body is undergoing changes and you are developing running muscles and strengthening vital tendons and joints

The good news is your heart and lungs don't know what you are doing so you will probably be better at other sports eventually...

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Hi

I have gone from run/walk to run and as long as you keep increasing the reps you will not increase the run time.

Pick an exercise period, in my case 30 mins. I then planned to do this period 5 times a week. If you can only do once a week then you may want to change it to month 1, 2 etc.

Week one I ran 1 min (at a constant 5.5 mph) and walked 1min (at a constant 3.7mph)
Week two I ran 2 min and walked 1 min, still at the same speed and for 30 min
Week three I ran 3 min and walked 1 min, still at the same speed and for 30 mins
Week four I ran 4 min and walked 1 min, still at the same speed and for 30 mins

Week Five I ran for 30 min non stop at 5.5 mph. It was hard.

Once I could do this comfortably I increased the speed a little but stuck to 30 mins. I keeped this up a bit at a time and now I run for 30 mins at 6.2 mph.

My next goal is to run at 6.5 mph.

The Key is slow and steady and don't set the next goal to high

Regards

Giles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Hrun,

That sounds like a good plan, just wondered how you work out your speed though if you're not running on a treadmill?

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Try walking as fast as you cam comfortably. In my case this is 4 mph. Then speed up a little until you break into a trot. Treat this as your slow running speed and do not increase it until you can do this for your target time. Then increase slowly

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Sounds like you've already got a lot of good advice on here Pheonix, so I'll just say... welcome to the forum :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts