Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completed my first Half Marathon yesterday. It was at Stonehaven just outside Aberdeen.
I had run 12 miles previously in training and found it fairly comfortable so was quite looking forward to the Half Marathon.

I found it very tough as the first 4 or 5 miles are mostly up hill and that took its toll in the last mile or so as I was really struggling towards the end. When I got home I had to go straight to my bed for a sleep as I was shattered and feeling a bit unwell. It actually felt like a hangover without the good night before. Now I have to be honest and say that straight after the race I opened my goody bag and found a Banana, a bag of salt and vinegar crisps and a mars bar. I gobbled the lot. :sick: At the end of the race my friend commented that he had lost quite a bit of salt during the race and that's when I realised that it wasn't dried sweat that I had all over my face but salt. It's the first time I have ever experienced feeling unwell after running and having this salt stuff all over my face.

I did push myself quite hard during the race but it is now over 24 hours since the half Marathon and although I feel a bit better I still dont feel right. Still have a sore head and feel a bit tired.

Does anyone know what I should be consuming after a race like this or indeed a long training run as I don't really wanting to be feeling like this after all my long runs in the lead up to my first Marathon in October?

Wanted to break 2 hours and managed it in 1 hour 51 min 46 seconds. Although the official time was 1 hour 51 mins 58 seconds. (I started quite a bit back from the start)

PS. The guy that won is called Scott Neyedli. He ran it in 1 hour 16 mins. He actually cycled to the race as a warm up. Mind you he is a Professional Triathlete.

This comes straight from his website.

You always want to well at the races but the 1/2 for me was to be treated as a hard training session and a bench mark to see where Im at.I sandwiched the run with a 22km warmup bike and afterwards a 80km effort paced cyle followed by a 3km swim to end the day out.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well done on your achievement.

Don't know what the best thing is to eat - lots of pasta maybe? I feel knackered after doing a mere 10k yesterday! Mind you, I was feeling tired, then went to bed early, and didn't really sleep all night so that didn't help.

Good luck with your training for the next step up!

That triathlete sounds something else! :cool:

·
Registered
466 Posts
If the sports drinks are available throughout the race then take bits on board and top up on an energy bar throughout. That's just my opinion though and you may differ with fuelling. Your time is really good by the way!! If I hit that time I will be chuffed so well done

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
If you ran a particularly hard race (as it sounds like you did) then it's not uncommon to have a delicate stomach afterwards, or at least that's what I've found! I often find my stomach not feeling too great after a particularly hard speed session - some would perhaps call it 'going a little too far', I'd say it was the sign of a good workout though ;)

After a race you can pretty much get away with eating anything, as the body really just wants fuel! lol. Best to ingest it slowly and steadily though, and tempting as it may be to ram it all in as fast as possible, the stomach usually isn't too grateful about 10mins later! :(

Congrats on a great time for your first half... and don't worry about the same thing happening on all your longer runs, take them steady and you'll be fine ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well done Richard, fantastic result.

Do you plan to do anymore?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Richard you did brilliant. I can't adivse you, I plan to do a half some time in the future.

I wonder if it was due to needing more fluids.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyones replies.

Think I will definately have to take on more carbs the night before. There were no sports drinks available during the race but I was a good boy and took on some water at the five stations and I know I was well hydrated before the race. Think I will maybe have to start investigating these energy gels aswell.

Yeah, happy with my time considering I've only been running for eleven weeks. Don't have any other half Marathons planned at the moment but have the Loch Ness Marathon to run in October. So I now have thirteen weeks to train for that. It's a thought!

Looking forward to getting the training for the Marathon done and out the way. It's just a bit of a slog just now, I have lots of stuff going on at the moment.

Then I can hopefully start to enjoy my running a bit more. Then maybe try and get my
10k time down a bit.

Thanks again for everyones replies ;)

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Only been running for 11 weeks and you get a sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon! Im impressed! Well done :)

I was looking at the Loch ness full marathon but think I will settle for 1 marathon a year and take part in my first 10k race instead.
We are looking at doing a RF social event maybe at the loch ness race, check out the Scotland meets thread :)

Again, brilliant time!!

O.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Went out this morning half marathon in 2hrs and 16 seconds. 13.2miles lovely run

·
Registered
466 Posts
I reckon you could take off a couple of minutes of that time for your race because of the adrenaline that comes with a race.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts