Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who suffers from Tinnitus? I have had this noise for well over a month now. I'm down the doctors with it but after several different attempts at clearing out my sinus's it's still there. Does anyone have any weird or wacky ways they try to get rid of it, medieval ideas will be considered.
Not only is it causing me to stress but it is causing problems at work, firstly due to all the other noise at work (forklift machinery and the tannoy) and secondly having a conversation is becoming very hard too, especially when there is only one other girl in the warehouse and we don't want the blokes to hear our conversation.
Any ideas will be more than welcome.

·
Registered
335 Posts
just looking on ask jeeves for cures for you, and one remedy it says is an herbal one called Ginkgo, thats a started i'll keep looking :)

found this also Simple dietary and lifestyle changes can improve your symptoms
Tinnitus sufferers should avoid certain foods, which can aggravate the condition - these include, sugar, salt, saturated fats, dairy products and processed foods. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, raw foods and good quality proteins instead.
As low blood sugar has been associated with tinnitus, you should prevent blood sugar swings by cutting out sweet foods, refined flour products and stimulants, such as coffee, tea and alcohol. If you have a sedentary lifestyle, start a programme of exercise (gently at first), since this can help improve the flow of blood to your ears.
Natural alternatives can relieve the torture of tinnitus
Nutritional and herbal supplements can provide complete relief if your tinnitus is a recent problem, or reduce long-standing symptoms. Niacin, a form of vitamin B3, can be extremely beneficial, as it opens up your blood vessels and allows more oxygen and nutrients to reach your inner ear.
Take 100-200mg a day, taken as part of a balanced B-complex supplement. Injections of vitamin B12 (1mg intramuscularly, twice a week) have also been shown to help
Supplementing with magnesium (500-1,000mg a day) has been shown to reverse noise-induced hearing loss (Am. J. Otolaryngol 15: 26-32, 1994). The cochlea of the ear (spiral organ) has the body's highest concentration of zinc. A Japanese study showed that zinc supplements relieve symptoms of tinnitus in people with a zinc deficiency The extract of the maidenhair tree, Ginkgo biloba, is known to dilate blood vessels and increase blood flow. Studies indicate that taking 120-240mg a day of standardised extract for 4-6 weeks can deliver significant improvements (Clin. Otolaryngol. 24: 164-7,1999; Advances in Therapy 15(1): 54-65, 1998). The herb, black cohosh, can also help by improving blood flow to your brain. The suggested dose is 20-40mg a day.

Because tinnitus has so many possible causes, you may need to try a few of these natural remedies before you find a treatment that works for you. The main thing is not to give up hope - and don't listen to doctors who tell you it's something you've just got to live with!

bet you wished you hadnt asked now dont you lol, hope some of it may help though

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for looking for me, I will have a good read through and try some out.
It is pretty bad at the moment so I will start straight away.

Thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had this for about 10 years now. But I only notice it when I'm in a quiet environment (not often) or in bed. When I'm run down it tends to get worse though. My doc just said - no cure, you're stuck with it.

If you have any luck with remedies I'd be interested to know :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats bad jeanettekaren

I have had ear problems since I was 11, so after two gomit operations and still no cure the hospital looked further into my problem. It turned out to be Cholesteatoma. So I have had most of one mastroid bone out as that was infected and was discharged from the hospital but if this continues after I have tried a load of ideas then it will be back to ENT.

I have already tried nasal spray, making my ears pop, the tinnitus is in both ears, cleaning them out more often. Now I am on a sea water nasal spray suggested by the Doc but it isn't working yet.

Let you know when I have tried the next mad idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts