Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using a cohesive bandage to compress an area that swells does it move the fluid to a diffrent area? (I dont mean bandage on knee to reduce the swelling and it appears on your ankle!)

Also if you have swelling at an area but not pain (just a niggle) should you still run?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Light compression helps prevent or at least reduce swelling because it is easier for the blood to pass through the wound than to swell outwards due to the pressure acting inwards by the bandage (or other means of compression). This leads to improved blood flow at the wound, speeding up recovery by bringing fresh, oxygenated blood to the area and rapidly removing toxins from the injury site. ;)

As for running when swollen, I would never say you should run... but as to whether you can run, then if it's not causing you pain then I can't see why not? Just be extra careful to 'listen' to any changes in the affected area while you're running. You could always use ibuprofen or other non-steroidal anti-imflammitory drugs (NSAIDs) to help reduce the swelling - but certainly don't use them to try and mask any pain while you're runnning!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, no pain in the area that is swelling up. So i'm still running. I know if there is any pain, first thing i do is speak to the physio and see what he says.

Anyhow onwards and upwards

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
The swelling could be anything, if it's not sore I wouldn't worry too much. Should it get sore stop, if not chap on.

That said if I'm wrong dont sue!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts