Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have been running 10k runs mostly or shall i say only, and being from South Africa, i have always had the desire to run the comrades marathon.

Where do i even start, do i join a running club but how do you even start training for a race this big.

Can someone please tell me where to start.

Regards

Jaco :d

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi

I have had Comrades on my 'ambition' list for a long time and in fact I was supposed to be running it this year (June 2007), but I got injured in April 2006 so I've had to put it off for a while until I get myself fixed.

If you want to do this race justice then you have to prepare both your body, and equally as important, your mind, properly.

Ideally you should plan out a 3 year build up. Start with training for some half marathons, then get a few marathons under your belt.

Then you can get serious and start entering ultra distance races.

My first ultra was Dartmoor discovery 32 miles, which I did twice. I also ran the Two Bridges 35 mile race in Edinburgh, and the 50 (which is 52 miles) Challenge in Kent. I was then planning to run London to Brighton but they cancelled the event before I got a chance to run it.

So what I'm saying is... you really need to build both your training and your races up before you consider Comrades. It's a tough event as I'm sure you know and takes a lot out of the body. You also need to have experience of the games that your mind can play with you over long distances in difficult terrain, and heat.

Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
1 Posts
Comrades qualifiers

I am planning on running the comrades next year, do you have any suggestions for qualifying marathons in March/April 2008?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts