Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me? I've now used my HRM a couple of times and I'm getting on really well with it. I'm slightly confused about measuring my times in relation to my heart rate though.

My 'easy' running pace is well below my speed before I started using my HRM, I don't mind as I know this will build up my stamina. However, I’m unsure what will happen to my pace going forward. I was running 8.30min miles comfortably before using my HRM, I know this has increased when running at my ‘easy’ pace on my HRM.

If I want to get down to 8min miles how do I achieve this while remaining in my ‘easy’ zone? Am I missing something or as I get fitter will this eventually happen? My training programme dictates the pace I need to be running at but at the moment I can’t see how this is possible whilst remaining in the desired area!!

I hope the above makes sense, can anyone help as I’m getting very confused!! Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
are all your runs in the 'easy' zone? If so then it'll probably take longer to improve your pace than if you have runs of varying intensities.

Also... is your distance increasing as a result of running at a lower speed? If you're running more miles then over time your body will adapt and your runnning style will become more efficient, meaning you'll be quicker whilst still exerting the same effort.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, with my training programme a fair proportion of it is at threshold. Also, my distances are getting longer and longer.

Fingers crossed I'm going in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
My 'easy' running pace is well below my speed before I started using my HRM
Just make sure you are using percentages of your working heart rate and not your max heart rate.

If you need further explanation - just let me know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts