Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anyone's looking at winter tyres, I have just tried these out on my bike the last couple of days in pretty wet conditions and have found them to be very grippy so far, including in standing water, cornering etc. I was too tight to splash out on them, but my OH very kindly had them put on when he dropped by bike off at the shop for other repairs. Seem worth the money so far, hasn't added much to my times. Maybe one occasion when it pays not to be too tight-fisted ... Although I still like the look of the Schwalbe Durano's for half the price.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Just in case anyone's looking at winter tyres, I have just tried these out on my bike the last couple of days in pretty wet conditions and have found them to be very grippy so far, including in standing water, cornering etc. I was too tight to splash out on them, but my OH very kindly had them put on when he dropped by bike off at the shop for other repairs. Seem worth the money so far, hasn't added much to my times. Maybe one occasion when it pays not to be too tight-fisted ... Although I still like the look of the Schwalbe Durano's for half the price.
what kind of price and are they sort of puncture protected. (a bit) I got tyres form my newly acquired (but oldish) bike and they felt very thin. I am no expert and new to the cycling , just wonder if I have bought some sort of track tyre by accident. they look like they could not handle anything rougher than sandpaper!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of price and are they sort of puncture protected. (a bit) I got tyres form my newly acquired (but oldish) bike and they felt very thin. I am no expert and new to the cycling , just wonder if I have bought some sort of track tyre by accident. they look like they could not handle anything rougher than sandpaper!
I am abroad but they are for sale on Wiggle at 33 pounds a tyre. They are designed to be resistant to punctures and the rubber certainly feels pretty solid. I use my bike mainly for commuting through a city centre so I'll soon know if they hold up! My brother-in-law's brother (!) does about 300 km a week and he keeps these on his bike all year round.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I was recommended Conti 4 seasons over on the PistonHead 'Pedal Powered' sub-forum. I was going to get some but I just bought a Cannondale cyclocross bike with not overly aggressive offroad tyres that should be reasonable for riding on tarmac in the winter.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I just bought a Cannondale cyclocross bike with not overly aggressive offroad tyres that should be reasonable for riding on tarmac in the winter.
Nice one Matt .. :tup::) .. which model did you get..??

I have a 2012 Super X ..... :happy:

btw, conti GP 4 seasons get rave reviews as a winter tyre, quite tempted to slap a pair of 28mm`s on my superX ..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It's a CAADX Tiagra. It has been great so far however I do wish I'd bought a Genesis Croix de Fer, which was one of the recommended alternatives. The only reason is that the off-road path I cycle on for 2.2km gets a bit mucky when wet and the SKS Raceblade XL mudguards (my only option due to lack of proper mounts) don't cover enough of the front or rear wheel to keep the bike really clean (do an ok job on me though) and more annoyingly bumps shift the front guard out of position and it rubs the front wheel a tiny bit. Also not helped by running 35mm tyres when I think the raceblades are recommended up to 33 or 32mm.

I have also just ordered bike number 3, but that won't be for outside!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts