Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've just recently started running so was looking for some good running shoes to start me off in the right direction. I went to The Sweatshop over the weekend and he told me that I am an overpronator and chose me ideal trainers for me which are the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 8, which are ideal shoes for overpronators.

Since visiting the shop i've been doing my own research and everything I have read on the internet suggests that I am an underpronator, which means I could have the incorrect running shoes. I looked at some old trainers and the tread is mainly worn on the outer part of the sole.

I also did the wet foot test and my print suggests that I have quite high arches. I'm now scared to go out running in case I have the incorrect running shoes. The shoes feel comfortable but they feel like the heels are sloping inwards.

Any advice? Does it seem that I am in fact an underpronator rather than an overpronator as told in the shop.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
The vast majority of runners wear down on the outside of the heel, that is perfectly normal. What is more important is the wear in the forefoot. Very roughly, about 60-70 percent of the population over-pronate, yet a tiny minority (approx 0.5% under-pronate).

The wet-foot test is not a very good indicator of what your feet will do when you are actually running, as it is a static test so i wouldn't hold too much worth with that.

How did Sweatshop analyse your running action? Having worked with them in the past, their biomechanics and product training is normally very good so you should feel confident that they have assessed you correctly. If you are still unsure, go back and see them again, take your old shoes and express your concerns. If necessary, go to another running shop and get a second opinion?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I wouldn't like to say. How about going back to Sweatshop with your concerns and ask them to explain why they think you're an overpronator, maybe they made a mistake... we all do.

But it will put your mind at rest at the very least

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweatshop

A man in the shop (very serious man) made me take my shoes and socks off and roll my trousers up and run up and down the shop barefoot, he looked very closely at how i was running. Then made me put different shoes on and watched me run and looked at my ankles as i still had to have my trousers rolled up. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there no place near you that does the treadmill gait analysis using Dartfish (the equipment used to film you) it is far more accurate than running up and down in a small space, you need to get into your real pace for someone to really see how you run. was the shop big?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Blimey, i'd say it'd take a good eye to spot pronation levels in real-time... but then I'm not trained on it! lol. Ideally they would show you a slow motion video of your running action to show you exactly what's going on... as Trin says it may be worth going back and asking them to explain/show you, to put your mind at ease, though the chances are (based on statistics) you'll be an overpronator.

Ultimately you need to be happy and convinced they're the right trainers for you.

Sensibles post is also spot on, sadly your self diagnosis doesn't mean a huge deal - the wet foot test doesn't show how your foot moves, it's perfectly normal to land on teh outside edge of the foot (causing most wear in that area), i'm and overpronator, and it's exactly what I do.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Might be a silly question but are you basing your concerns purely on internet research?

You do not say whether you have tried running in them. It may be your bloke was right and they are great. Run and Become in Cardiff based their recommendation on a 50 yard run down the street and I have just got back from a 10K run during which they far outperformed my decrepid body.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If the person doing the analysis has been working there for a while, it is pretty easy to pick up issues with over-pronation etc. As Hrun says, Run and Become don't use video gait analysis and have been busy and popular for years. Must be doing something right?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If they feel comfortable, that's surely a good sign :)

I use GTS8s myself; I set my latest PB in them. Very good shoes :cool: They do indeed slope inwards, it does feel weird, but this is what corrcts the pronation. I suggest you go for a few runs in them and see how you get on. Nothing too terrible will happen, honest!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Shops used to do the gait stuff by eye before all these computers came along. Trust them, they know what they are talking about! Which shop did you go to?

·
Registered
119 Posts
interesting thread, i think the firs thing to do if you haevn't already is go back to them ask them to explain what brought them to the conclusion.....more importantly it is possible to have a high arch and be an over pronator, excessive pronation in running can originate from various places up the body from the ankle, or knee or the pelvis, the effect [the excessive pronation] is seen at the foot and everyone is different.

on the subject of someone whatching you run verses video on the treadmill there are pros and cons to both, firstly the experience of the observer plays a big role, however the human eye functions at between 7-8 frames per second when looking at a subject whichyou are trained to look at or understand a video camera works at 50 frames for second or more in the case of high speed cameras..... it is much easier to pick up problems when using video and slowing the motion down to a managable rate. there are a few things happening in the running industry right now when a couple of brands are suggesting their dealers move away from video on its own as it is not always as accurate as people think, they are instead suggesting using it in combination with motion analysis profiling software such as motionquest as the combined results are more acurate.

now i have used a combination like this for over 2 years and i must say i find it is the best system i have used in over 18 years in the footwear industry [7 in running & skiing specifically], [there a a couple of members on here who have been to visit and can explain it] I do have to wonder why the shoe companies have all of a suden jumped onto this band wagon........ 7-8 years ago they all suggested treadmills in stores...... 5 or so years back every shop should buy dartfish [the price of the software tripled] now they are saying use this as well.

am i ahead of the game.... well i would like to think we bought software as it was the best not becasue some shoe brand said it was....and no i don't have the lottery numbers for next weekend

anyway i digress badly as often happens

suffice to say the shoe coule be right or wrong you just need to get it clarified, more than anything for your sanity

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was just about to post a similar question - I remember when I did my gait analysis the friendly chap in up and running showed me a freeze frame etc of my foot landing and said I was a neutral runner, and my foot looked perfectly straight from behind.

However when I looked at a race photo my feet seemed a bit splayed out to the sides (mind you it was near the end and I could barely lift one foot after the other!)

Have just looked at my wear pattern and the outer heel is most word, both sides at the front seem fairly equally worn.

Have done over 200 miles since I got the shoes, without any discomfort (apart from normal aches and pains) - so am thinking the initial analysis must be right?

Only reason I ask is that I'm a bit skint and have seen some bargain Asics online - if I go to the shop for another gait I could end up paying £40 more and don't want to go and waste their time if I can't afford what they recommend! :confused:

·
Registered
119 Posts
if the shoes you have are not causing any pains and they were suggested to you after analysis then replace them with the same shoe [if at all possible]
there are many parts to pronation , one is abduction [the external rotation of the foot] this can come on as you run more and as you say the muscles were tired working on core stability will help keep everything in place and reduce the tendancy for this to happen

what shoe and size is it you have, lets have a search for you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts