Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found nothing but positive stuff about these online. It is said to remove pollution from your lungs and has been proven to benefit Asthma sufferers by opening airways. It is also good for chest infections. I have just started using one as I suffer with all of these so it could be a godsend!

http://thesaltpipe.co.uk

Anybody tried one of these?

·
2,698 Posts
http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-treatment-and-medicines-complementary-therapies

Several companies produce saltpipes, and each of them provide information about how they believe salt pipes to work, but any 'research' they quote to back up their products is likely to have been done by the manufacturers themselves, so should be treated with caution.

As an independent charity, Asthma UK doesn't recommend particular products or services unless there is independent, objective, scientific research to back them up. At the moment there isn't scientific evidence to suggest that salt pipes may help asthma.

[...]

So we don't really have any firm evidence that salt pipes work at the moment and no further progress warranting any mention in the current guidelines has been made. If you wanted to use these therapies we would advise you to speak with your asthma nurse or doctor first, and make sure that you continue with your usual prescribed asthma medicines.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stacks of positive stuff on line, much more than bad if you look for it. Many positive stories on forums etc,etc.

For centuries, salt therapy has been used with great success in many different countries such as Wieliczka (Poland), Hallein (Austria) and Praid (Romania).
The ancient Greeks practiced ‘halo-therapy’ (halos = salt in Greek) or salt therapy because of its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects which help to ease respiratory symptoms. It took over a thousand years to rediscover the beneficial effects that salt caves and salt mines can have on respiratory health problems.
The 19th century Polish physician, Dr. Felix Bochkowsky, discovered that salt miners didn’t suffer from any breathing or respiratory problems. Following his discovery, the practice of salt therapy spread throughout Eastern Europe and salt therapy became “part of their history”.

Also, near the German town of Ennepetal, a salt cave was used as a protection against heavy bombing during World War II. Later on it was confirmed by scientists that many of those who had been using the cave as a bomb shelter were indeed cured of their asthma, chronic bronchitis, and other diseases of the respiratory tract. The healthy individuals hiding in that cave had strengthened their immunity and stopped catching colds.
Of course, salt caves tend to be few and far between in the UK, so now an alternative method of engaging in these benefits of salt inhalation has been developed in a way that is simple to use, cost effective and can be used in the comfort of your own home. Meet ‘the Salt Pipe’.

Journal of Aerosol Medicine and Pulmonary Drug Delivery is the only authoritative journal delivering innovative articles on the health effects of inhaled aerosols and delivery of drugs through the pulmonary system. The Journal is a forum for leading experts, addressing novel topics such as aerosolized chemotherapy, aerosolized vaccines, methods to determine toxicities, and delivery of aerosolized drugs in the intubated patient.

The Journal of Aerosol Medicine reports that 124 patients with respiratory diseases were studied. Most were given salt therapy for one hour a day and the remaining 15 were the placebo. The researchers found that there were clinical improvements in most of the salt therapy group.

http://youtu.be/kjS4iULXBU0

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We do prescribe saline (salt water) nebulisers in hospital but it does nothing but help to get rid of secretions. Salt is not anti bacterial, it does not open airways, it does not 'clear pollution'. None of the research is credible otherwise asthma uk would recommend it. You can try it if you wish but it is no treatment for asthma. Asthmatics needs steroid inhalers and salbutamol for control and you should seek advice from your gp if your condition worsens. you should never stop your proven medication for marketed gadgets without a credible scientific basis. Clinical trials that are not blinded and are paid for by the manufacture have no scientific basis.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Reminds me of Tim Minchins song "storm"....

What do you call alternative medicine that's been proved to work; medicine!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bacteria are not the issue as viruses are more common and hard to treat. I believe that as this treatment has been used in many countries successfully for years and is perfectly safe it is worth a go. Salt has been used for thousands of years to preserve food etc so if it could have medicinal benefits why ignore it? You can use it alongside your current medication perfectly safely. I have pasted a piece from an independent article that suggests how it might work.

All disease states need or do best in an acidic internal body environment. You innards are composed of salt water at a 0.9 concentration. Your blood, your lymphatic fluid, your tears - all salt water. Salt water is basic, that is the opposite of an acid. From our hectic, stressful, junk air junk food, run run lifestyles we are all mostly acidic inside. Some of us are SO acidic that we can tarnish gold jewelry! The ancients disinfected a wound with salt so that no bugs could grow in it; they had increased that tissues alkalinity. In so doing they took away the environment bugs could live and grow in. If we increase our pH back to normal (alkaline) then between that and having a high O2 concentration in our blood and tissues we have created a terrain within us that bugs cannot live or grow in.

·
2,698 Posts
All disease states need or do best in an acidic internal body environment. You innards are composed of salt water at a 0.9 concentration. Your blood, your lymphatic fluid, your tears - all salt water. Salt water is basic, that is the opposite of an acid. From our hectic, stressful, junk air junk food, run run lifestyles we are all mostly acidic inside. Some of us are SO acidic that we can tarnish gold jewelry! The ancients disinfected a wound with salt so that no bugs could grow in it; they had increased that tissues alkalinity. In so doing they took away the environment bugs could live and grow in. If we increase our pH back to normal (alkaline) then between that and having a high O2 concentration in our blood and tissues we have created a terrain within us that bugs cannot live or grow in.
Sorry Barry but this is unscientific drivel. You can't change your body's pH level. The body has various parts that are acidic, alkaline, and neutral, and these have to remain in a narrow range or you would die.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

http://theness.com/roguesgallery/index.php/science-and-medicine/body-ph-quackery/

As for the stories you posted before, they are exactly that, stories. The study from the Journal of Aerosol Medicine had 124 participants, but only 15 were given the placebo, which immediately sounds suspicious. Again, I will defer to people with far more knowledge than me about asthma:

At the moment there isn't scientific evidence to suggest that salt pipes may help asthma.
http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-treatment-and-medicines-complementary-therapies

That Tim Minchin quote is very apt Ed_m!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Barry but this is unscientific drivel. You can't change your body's pH level. The body has various parts that are acidic, alkaline, and neutral, and these have to remain in a narrow range or you would die.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral2.html

http://theness.com/roguesgallery/index.php/science-and-medicine/body-ph-quackery/

As for the stories you posted before, they are exactly that, stories. The study from the Journal of Aerosol Medicine had 124 participants, but only 15 were given the placebo, which immediately sounds suspicious. Again, I will defer to people with far more knowledge than me about asthma:

That Tim Minchin quote is very apt Ed_m!
I do not agree that you cant change your bodies ph because if you couldn't the below conditions would not exist and there would be no need to correct them.What is to say your ph levels are not out and salt therapy couldn't help readdress the balance? Is this why it works for some people?

I am not a doctor but there is no smoke without fire in my mind. It has helped me at the end of my chest infection.

Metabolic acidosisShare on facebookShare on twitterBookmark & SharePrinter-friendly version
Metabolic acidosis is a condition in which there is too much acid in the body fluids.

Causes
Metabolic acidosis occurs when the body produces too much acid, or when the kidneys are not removing enough acid from the body.

There are several types of metabolic acidosis:

Diabetic acidosis (also called diabetic ketoacidosis and DKA) develops when substances known as ketone bodies, which are acidic, build up during uncontrolled type 1 diabetes
Hyperchloremic acidosis results from excessive loss of sodium bicarbonate from the body, as can happen with severe diarrhea
Lactic acidosis is a buildup of lactic acid. It can be caused by:
Alcohol
Cancer
Exercising for a very long time
Liver failure
Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
Medications such as salicylates
Prolonged lack of oxygen from shock, heart failure, or severe anemia
Seizures
Other causes of metabolic acidosis include:

Kidney disease (distal tubular acidosis and proximal renal tubular acidosis)
Poisoning by aspirin, ethylene glycol (found in antifreeze), or methanol
Severe dehydration
Symptoms
Most symptoms are caused by the underlying disease or condition that is causing the metabolic acidosis. Metabolic acidosis itself usually causes rapid breathing. Confusion or lethargy may also occur. Severe metabolic acidosis can lead to shock or death. In some situations, metabolic acidosis can be a mild, chronic (ongoing) condition.

Exams and Tests
Arterial blood gas
Serum electrolytes
Urine pH
Arterial blood gas analysis or a serum electrolytes test (such as a basic metabolic panel) will confirm acidosis is present and determine whether it is respiratory acidosis or metabolic acidosis.

Other test may be needed to determine the cause of the acidosis.

Treatment
Treatment is aimed at the underlying condition. In certain circumstances, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) may be given to improve the acidity of the blood.

Outlook (Prognosis)
What can be expected will depend on the underlying disease causing the metabolic acidosis.

Possible Complications
When very severe, metabolic acidosis can lead to shock or death.

When to Contact a Medical Professional
Seek medical treatment if you develop symptoms of any disease that can cause metabolic acidosis.

Prevention
Keeping type 1 diabetes under control may help prevent diabetic ketoacidosis, one type of metabolic acidosis.

Alternative Names
Acidosis - metabolic

References

Seifter JL. Acid-base disorders.In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds.Cecil Medicine. 24th ed.Philadelphia,PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 120.

Update Date: 11/17/2011
Updated by: David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.

Browse the Encyclopedia
MedlinePlus Topics
Metabolic Disorders
Images
Insulin production and diabetes

A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC, also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (www.urac.org). URAC's accreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorous standards of quality and accountability. A.D.A.M. is among the first to achieve this important distinction for online health information and services. Learn more about A.D.A.M.'s editorial policy, editorial process and privacy policy. A.D.A.M. is also a founding member of Hi-Ethics and subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (www.hon.ch).

The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. Copyright 1997-2014, A.D.A.M., Inc. Duplication for commercial use must be authorized in writing by ADAM Health Solutions.

Mobile version Get email updates Subscribe to RSS Follow us on Twitter

Disclaimers Copyright Privacy Accessibility Quality Guidelines Viewers & Players
U.S. National Library of Medicine 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20894 U.S. Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health
Page last updated: 16 May 2014

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great independent research on here.

Meridian Institute is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1997 with offices in Dillon, Colorado and Washington, DC. The primary objective of the organization is to help people involved in society's toughest issues solve problems and make informed decisions.
http://www.meridianinstitute.com/newslet/Vol7-3/7-3.html

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
you have so much wrong with your ideas i dont know where to begin.

i will stick with the obvious.

- Saline is ACIDOTIC (pH 5)
- Saline drips cause hypercholaemic metabolic acidosis,

·
Registered
228 Posts
Suffering from sarcoidosis this is quite interesting.

One wonders when you read about these miracle treatments, on one hand you think if it works why isn't it being used on the millions of sufferers especially when it uses such a naturally occurring ingredient. On the other hand you wonder do the pharmaceutical ignore this because they can't patent it and make millions....

·
Registered
388 Posts
I used one of those salt pipes. It removed all the pollution in my lungs, closed the hole in the ozone layer, whitened my teeth, and made my willy 4 inches bigger. Don't believe the haters. It's just Big Science and Big Facts and Big Logic trying to take away our miracle cures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts