Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay - first week as a runner and first post on the forum !

I've just started a running training programme, which aims to get you from sedentary to 10K in sixteen weeks.

I've been going to the gym regularly for the last 5-6 months, so aren't starting from a totally unfit position (although not too much better) but am nevertheless starting the programme right from the beginning as I like to 'tick the boxes' right from the start.

Enjoying it so far, although have recognised that it will take me a little time to develop a good running technique, and to get used to running on the road (particularly after only using a treadmill).

The main thing that I know I haven't yet cracked, is pacing myself better and not going too quickly - particularly at the start. Short of tying a bungee cord to a lampost, has anyone got any tips for slowing it down ? As I'm still at the beginning of the programme - the 'run a bit, then walk a bit' stage - I can tell that because I'm going too fast on the running, I'm tending to go too slow on the walking to compensate, rather than keeping up the brisk walk needed to maintain momentum.

I have this difficulty at the gymn as well - whenever I do interval training, my trainer is constantly having to remind me not to go off like a bullet from a gun, otherwise I'll never be able to sustain it.

The run I did today consisted of 1 min running, then 1 min walking repeated 10 times. When I got back, I calculated that I'd covered 2 miles in that time - I'm worried that that's a too high pace for this stage of the training. Whilst I felt OK, and it was a good achievement for me, I can see that sort of pace coming round to bite me on the arse as the programme progresses.

Very grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Best advice I was ever given was to run at a pace that you can comfortably hold a conversation otherwise you could try in vesting in a heart rate monitor but to get maximum benefit from this you will need to work out your maximum heart rate and your resting heart rate.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi Simon,
Welcome to the Forum, especially as you're a fellow Yorkshireman! The only person who can tell you whether you're going too fast is YOU. We all have our own drummer and we're all different, depending on weight, general fitness, age, etc... I began later than you (age 54), was quite unfit and more than a stone overweight. I would advise you to keep a 'Running Diary' in the form of a notebook - independantly of your training blog on this forum.
For the first three months I only timed myself once (on the fourth day) and discovered I was jogging/walking three miles in half an hour - which more or less equates to what you're doing (10 minute mile pace). The walking part went by the board after just five days and I just jogged for three miles, untimed, at a rate that felt comfortable. Two months later, when I did begin timing myself, I was running roughly three and a quarter miles in 28 minutes (just over 8½ min/mile pace), still at a pace I felt happy with. A month later I completed a five mile Fun Run in 37 minutes (about 7.24 pace). Two months after that I ran my first 10K in 43.07 (about 6.57 pace). Just keep it easy and comfortable for starters, but go out regularly, and you'll be surprised how the pace quickens almost imperceptibly.
As many people on this forum have suggested to newbies - join a club if you can: firstly because it's easier running with other people and secondly because they can impart an awful lot of useful information to keep you motivated. Good luck with your running. I hope you get as much out of it as I have.
Cheers!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Runningfox said:
Hi Simon,
Welcome to the Forum, especially as you're a fellow Yorkshireman! The only person who can tell you whether you're going too fast is YOU. We all have our own drummer and we're all different, depending on weight, general fitness, age, etc... I began later than you (age 54), was quite unfit and more than a stone overweight. I would advise you to keep a 'Running Diary' in the form of a notebook - independantly of your training blog on this forum.
For the first three months I only timed myself once (on the fourth day) and discovered I was jogging/walking three miles in half an hour - which more or less equates to what you're doing (10 minute mile pace). The walking part went by the board after just five days and I just jogged for three miles, untimed, at a rate that felt comfortable. Two months later, when I did begin timing myself, I was running roughly three and a quarter miles in 28 minutes (just over 8½ min/mile pace), still at a pace I felt happy with. A month later I completed a five mile Fun Run in 37 minutes (about 7.24 pace). Two months after that I ran my first 10K in 43.07 (about 6.57 pace). Just keep it easy and comfortable for starters, but go out regularly, and you'll be surprised how the pace quickens almost imperceptibly.
As many people on this forum have suggested to newbies - join a club if you can: firstly because it's easier running with other people and secondly because they can impart an awful lot of useful information to keep you motivated. Good luck with your running. I hope you get as much out of it as I have.
Cheers!
That just about covers it!!

Make sure you enjoy your running. If you don't you'll soon give it up. Therefore don't push too hard too often. Somedays, like me yesterday, one just doesn't have "it" in the tank. Live to run another day on days like those and cut your run short....your next run will be all the better for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts