Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

While I love pasta and rice anyone know if couscous is a suitable substitute?

Only tasted it once before some time ago but decided to buy a big bag the other day. Not really experimented with stuff in it. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I eat a fair bit of this stuff and it's actually easier to prepare than pasta ( if that's possible)

50g of it in a saucepan, cover with 65ml of boiling water and leave for 5-10 mins.

add a tbl spoon of extra virgin olive oil and peppers/onion/olives/tomatoes/spinach and anything else you want to chuck in like tuna or salmon. Mix it all up with a bit of black pepper.

It's an easy to prepare good alternative and can be kept in the fridge 'til the next day if it suits.

Good, if like me you eat out of tupperware regularly.:)

Have you tried quinoa? That's a good alternative too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hot Foot

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is easy to prepare. According to the pack I just added some boiling water and a knob of butter. Just had the rest for lunch today and added a little bit of Mattesons Spicy Sausage.

For lunch during the week I usually have two chicken breasts with peppers, chillies etc so will now add couscous to that :)

Yes, I do eat out of Tupperware daily!

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
143 Posts
Its not something i eat much of or know much about

for other pasta alternatives that are much more nutrient dense, try Quinoa......5 - 10 min on the boil. great to acompany a stir fry. Bulgur wheat is easy and quite tasty. just put the boilin waterin the pot wih it and leave it to steep (not on the heat) for 40 min untill it soaks the water up. you can heat it for quickness. It has a slightly nutty taste to it and is really good with a salad

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hot Foot

Never heard of Quinoa so will do some research on that.

Scarbib-Jack, thanks for posting. Will look into Bulgur wheat too.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
143 Posts
^ Is that how you say it!!! :) I havebee saying it as it reads for...as ong as i have known of it. :rolleyes:

Als, If you find rice, inparticular brown rice hard to eat without a tub of curry sauce, then bulgur wheat is a great aternative.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Quinoa- pronounced as KEEN WAH ;)
I was waiting for someone to say that, lol.

I'm quite sticked up now with bulgar wheat, quinoa, brown rice, cous cous, wholemeal pasta & spaghetti etc... bulgar wheat is great in my opinion, only had quinoa once so far though. I also have a bag of Pilaf to try... anyone had that?

For a really quick dish, try bulgar wheat with a tin of mackeral fillets in tomato sauce - can't beat it! :d

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all

Couldn't find Quinoa in Tesco this morning. Tried the small store but maybe the bigger store has it.

Anyway fo lunch today I had couscous with 2 chicken breasts (cooked obviously) chillies, sweet pepper and a quarter of a spicy sausage. Finished off with a kiwi and a banana! Pretty full with that.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I was waiting for someone to say that, lol.

I'm quite sticked up now with bulgar wheat, quinoa, brown rice, cous cous, wholemeal pasta & spaghetti etc... bulgar wheat is great in my opinion, only had quinoa once so far though. I also have a bag of Pilaf to try... anyone had that?

For a really quick dish, try bulgar wheat with a tin of mackeral fillets in tomato sauce - can't beat it! :d

what a strange coincidence, 'cos I nearly said it was pronounced "KEY NOIR".

Anyway Mr. Simkiss, I have had a packet of bulgar wheat in the cupboard for ages and on your recommendation I will be having it for my lunch today for the first time. It'd better be good!:rolleyes:

never heard of Pilaf. What is it?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You can get Quinoa from Holland and Barrett or in Asda's organic section. Possibly other supermarkets too but I haven't looked elsewhere

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
A nice big steak cooked medium with chips, onion rings, corn on the cob, coleslaw, mushrooms, peas, lettuce and tomatoes. mmmm :p

Would you believe I'm 9 1/2 stone and can't put weight on?
No...........:d

1 - 20 of 37 Posts