Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi was wondering if anyone had any info on cramping during runs. I'm somewhat new to running however i continue to get cramps in my right abdomen usually after 10 mins. It doesn't matter if i've eaten or not before my run, it continues to happen...any advice?

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
If I remember correctly, dehydration would make you cramp more, so it might be worthwhile drinking more, both when running and during the rest of the day.

You could also work on strengthening your abs, as they might be cramping due to be to weak.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I had sore abs as well, but never cramps, when I first started running. I thought it was just me, but a few of the newer people at my club have said the same thing.

Richard had a good point - if you're running very hard, it might be worthwhile slowing down, especially if you're new to running.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
juniorrunner said:
Hi was wondering if anyone had any info on cramping during runs. I'm somewhat new to running however i continue to get cramps in my right abdomen usually after 10 mins. It doesn't matter if i've eaten or not before my run, it continues to happen...any advice?
You should be able to jog it off a muscle cramp (or perhaps walk it off if you are new)... I wouldn't personally recommend stopping running if you have a muscle cramp...

As to what causes it...

A biproduct of anaerobic respiration is lactic acid and I believe it is this build up of lactate that causes muscle cramp...

You should become more resistant to lactate (i.e. muscles cramp at much higher conc of lactate)... however, it can take a long time... this is one reason why i think it is recommended that you increase your run distances slowly (by 10%)...

However, cross country running is an aerobic activity and it's is tough at first but after a while it becomes like a habit and you don't really feel like it's as hard work as before... Keep up the running mate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts