Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why am I getting horrendous cramps all the time a few hours after I run? Since Saturday I've done 3m, 13m, 4m and 5m last. It started last night on the sofa every time I bent by legs upwards and when I went to bed last night the pains were terrible all night, just really sharp shooting pains and stiffening all up my legs. Even my hands are cramping up and locking occasionally too. It actually woke me up several times as I writhed about in agony:) It has been happening for the last few weeks and must be something to do with the increased mileage on a weekend as I'm preparing for a half in a few weeks time. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not doing something right in terms of refuelling my body between runs and I've been feeling like a zombie with no energy every time I run and think there may be a link somewhere. I read that salt has something to do with it but I always put plenty of salt on my food. Is there something else that's causing this? I know those sport drinks have electrolyte replacement in them - is it more than just salt that I should be topping-up?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Are you eating enough? What do you have to eat pre-run?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I've been getting the odd bout of cramps and OH suggested it might be to do with hydration- just found this on the digital interweb- hope it helps!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sorry to hear that Rob mate.

Could it be something to do with Magnesium/Calcium levels - I think you said you'd been having stomach probs as well lately.

Really the best thing to do is to get checked out by the doctor. That's advice I normally - rightly or wrongly - don't follow myself, I am terrible for avoiding medics, but a blood test could tell you for sure if there is something that could be fixed by a change in diet/supplement.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Of course everything is on a case by case basis, but try and drink plenty of water and maybe take a multivitamin? I've never been too sure whether multi-vits are of any use having heard conflicting arguments, but I can't see it doing any harm ;)

I find my muscles will start to cramp up if i'm training on already tired muscles... do you stretch them in your spare time or before/after runs? (not lecturing here, lol, just trying to think what it could possibly be!)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all your suggestions. I don't normally eat before I run, although I've usually eaten well during the day. I did almost go to the docs last week moreso with the tummy pains but they seem to have calmed now. I read some odds and bobs about mixing fruit squash with a pinch of salt which I tried the other day and I bought two bunches of bananas which I've been eating my way through and the cramps have disappeared. I'm doing another long run tomorrow and I'll have a couple of bananas before and after and drink some squash with a pinch of salt again afterwards and report back. I don't really do any stretching between runs other than little stretches here and there, usually sitting watching the tv. I should get some vitamins too, that's a good point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts