Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all :d

Just wanted to share my disappointment of last night with fellow runners, I've had a couple of weeks without running for various reasons, work etc. But last night I felt right up for it so setout on a 6 mile mission.

Needless to say - it was one of the worst runs I have ever done, I felt tired, heavy and had to walk a couple of times before carrying on. - do other people suffer this from time to time, I felt really depressed last night as the last few times I've been out I really thought that I was making progress.

I'm aiming to get out tonight to see how it goes again.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Granty said:
Morning all : Do other people suffer this from time to time, I felt really depressed last night as the last few times I've been out I really thought that I was making progress. I'm aiming to get out tonight to see how it goes again.
Don't let it worry you Granty, it happens to all of us. Sometimes I'm floating on air, on a real high, and feel I could run forever. At others times my legs feel leaden and I've difficulty sticking one in front of the other. Fortunately, I've always felt OK when it comes to racing. I get the usual butterflies and pre-race nerves, but when the gun goes off the old brain is super concentrated and the legs respond accordingly. It's all psychological you know!
Cheers!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
That`s what you get for not training ,you lazy git.....................:p

I think it happens to us all at one time or another Granty.

A few weeks ago I ran about a mile from home and ended up walking home. I`d been running ok in the days before and when I went out the next day I was fine.
There seemed to be no real explanation for it.

Try again tonight and everything will be fine,I`m sure.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou both,

Dave - I thought I might get a reply like that from you, I think you might be close to the truth as well ! :p

RF - Glad (sort of - if you know what I mean) that it happens to people like you as well, find that slightly reassuring :d

Oh well, depression over and looking forward to trying again tonight.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Yep happens to me all the time usually when I don't plan a run properly and end up getting lost or sometimes after a long or hard session.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Granty, like you just took a couple of weeks off because, quite frankly I wanted too, went out for my first jaunt last night (3.5) and found it hard, my legs felt empty, but went out again this morning did the same distance and it was a much better run, so don't fear you will be fine :d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers TT - that's just reminded me, I must go get my Jelly babies for tonight's session (If only they made the pockets in running shorts a tad bigger :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Funnily enough Granty this happened to me a few weeks back. I got up one Sunday Morning having not run for 2 weeks. I was up for it but after a few miles I was just the same as you. I put it down to the fact I'd not really eaten before. Also my strecting wasn't too good and mentally I guess I wasn't up for it. I went out last Sunday with good preparation and sailed round. It just happens to all of us from time to time. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Matt

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
16 days off - shame on you, that's worse than me :d

Hope its not tooooo sore !

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Granty said:
16 days off - shame on you, that's worse than me :d

Hope its not tooooo sore !
I did spend last week walking in the Lakes so wasn't completely lardish! ( Obviously I didn't literally walk in the Lakes :d )

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I say good for you Steve, hope you had a good break.

BTW Granty how have you been since your "crap run"?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pleased to report good news, I've been out for 2 long(ish) (well for me anyhow) runs of 6 and 8 miles since my night of despair and I made sure I was in the 'correct' frame of mind and I felt really good.

Back to looking at how to achieve my sub 2hr half marathon in Sept !! :d

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Granty said:
Pleased to report good news, I've been out for 2 long(ish) (well for me anyhow) runs of 6 and 8 miles since my night of despair and I made sure I was in the 'correct' frame of mind and I felt really good. Back to looking at how to achieve my sub 2hr half marathon in Sept !! :d
There you are, you see, told you your 'night of despair' was just a one off! It's MONTHS before your half marathon so you've all the time in the world to prepare for it. Get out as often as you can, just chug along, take your music with you if you're not into birdsong and nature, until your legs have adopted to what you want them to do. Later, when it comes to the speedwork/hillwork sessions, try to do them in company with clubmates or a running partner to keep them at 'fun' level.
I've a half marathon scheduled for June 2nd (after my two week holiday in Cornwall) and there's no way I'm going to run it under two hours. It's the Wharfedale Off-road Half - which I've measured at 13.5 miles with 1,985 ft of ascent! Considering there's no MV70 category I'll really be running 'just for the fun of it'. Sometimes it's better that way!
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny you say about hillwork sessions, a mate and I tried something like this the other night, we managed running up the hill twice at a good speed and then were absolutely knackered after that :d (Was good fun 'tho!)

Good luck with your's, but I have to say that 1,985 ft of ascent sounds like a stroll in the park for a young lad like yourself !! :p ;)

I one thing I have really noticed (bar that one night) is how much I actually enjoy just going out running with no particular route planned out.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
SHOCK HORROR!!

I didn't get out again last night.....17 days now.Mind you it was pelting down when I got in from work...poor excuse I know, made worse by the fact that I do have a treadmill in the garage!!

MUST GET MOTIVATED!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts