Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use creatine when there running? And if so when? Before or After? How much?

I was considering 5g before training/

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I tried it for a short while when I was at uni thinking it would answer all my running prayers. I can't remember for the life of me what the dosage was, or when it was taken... but to be honest I didn't feel any benefit from it at :( at least nothing noticeable.

Though I think it's more likely to have an effect with 'explosive' exercise (sprints, weights etc)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Creatine is more for anaerobic exercises such as weight lifting, it is uselss for aerobic exercises such as distance running...

Only in short distance sprints - i.e. 100-400m sprints - will it have an effect and even then the effect may be small...

Here's the conclusion from a scientific study on it if you're interests:

"There is no evidence to suggest creatine supplementation can benefit prolonged, submaximal exercise
(eg, middle or long distance running)."

Does dietary creatine supplementation play a role in skeletal muscle metabolism and performance? -- Casey and Greenhaff 72 (2): 607S -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
To aid running, the only things I can realistically see being of any use are 'carbo loading' products when you're doing very high mileages... and recovery drinks.

The extent to which they'll help is pretty hard to guage to be honest. I've tried a number of recovery drinks and not found them to make a huge difference. In fact my biggest gains in performance have come purely from increasing mileage and spending time stretching after hard or long sessions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts