Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd broken my garmin somehow; it wouldn't switch on. One short panic later, I was looking on Ebay for new cables for it, certain that I'd never get the darned thing working again, then had a look at the Garmin website FAQs. First suggestion was I clean the contacts with toothpaste (?!? :huh:) which I was all set to do, then, luckily noticed another FAQ which said to just try restarting it by pressing & holding 2 buttons... Now we're back in business :cool:

It makes me realise quite how much I depend on this piece of kit, particularly now, when I'm trying to monitor & increase my pace! Daft really :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Funny you should mention this. My Garmin just kind of freaked out on me. I have a basic brick-like 105 but it's done the job (can't afford anything else right now!) - until today.

I was doing a 3k tempo run hoping to do just under 5 mins per k, I went off at a suicidal pace (for me!), then after I was about to complete the first k on schedule, I heard the Garmin bleep for low signal, and according to the display I didn't move for another 7 or 8 minutes - then it started again, but as i was on a circuit, had no idea where it was measuring from (I doubt it's clever enough to figure out I was running in a large circle and probably measured the line across the circle!). Anyway I kind of blew up and stopped where I guess the 3k should have been, but had could have been 300 meters out either way. I was over the 15 minutes, but have no idea if that was for more or less then 3k! Next time I will take note of the 3k mark on a longer run and then aim for that in case it happens again. Was very frustrating having half killed myself to set off at such a fast pace, but when it happened I didn't have a clue what pace I was going at.

It's a regular route with no probs normally with the GPS - it was cloudy today, but it's been cloudier and had no probs. It did get wet the other day, am wondering if this model really is waterproof or if something may have got in the works?

Obviously the real answer is I was just going far too fast and blew its circuitry :rolleyes:

I feel like scrubbing it with toothpaste :evil:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always love how mine keeps great reception constantly, except in a race when it tends to go haywire, and picks up a signal within miliseconds, unless I'm standing in the freezing cold rain / snow, in which case it's 10-15 mins...

I suppose it's best to not rely on them totally, and consider them as a help rather than something to run your entire schedule by

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You said it Katten!!

They really are fantastic bits of kit - especially for those of us who are a bit geeky and love to gaze at stats and analyse how we're progressing, but certainly not needed. It's been mentioned on the forum many times about how running is such a pure and simple activity, and it is! If we just get out there and run more, we're (virtually) certain to improve.

On that note, I just worked out it's taken me 2 years to knock 1min/mile off my race pace ;) GEEEEEEK! :d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I had the same panic with my 205 about 3 months ago Katten.

The 2 button thing worked for me too.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Will try repairing it with a darned sledgehammer if it happens too often :p

That would be just an excuse to buy a new 405 Katten...................:d

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think 12-month as well, although probably voided by sledgehammer-based self-repair attempts...

I'm not particularly tempted by the 405 to be honest; I hear it doesn't have the map like the 205 / 305 has; I find that quite useful. If my 205 breaks for real, I might get a 305 and do more HRM stuff, if I can find one within budget...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol... just joking :p (suddenly remembered that over the net things can be interpreted badly - D'oh! :push:).

The more I run, the less I tend to check my Garmin to be honest - However I do enjoy looking over the stats when I get home :d I'd guess that if you're aiming for a target pace Ped you just use a perceived effort level? Do you time the duration of your runs?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
lol... just joking :p (suddenly remembered that over the net things can be interpreted badly - D'oh! :push:).

The more I run, the less I tend to check my Garmin to be honest - However I do enjoy looking over the stats when I get home :d I'd guess that if you're aiming for a target pace Ped you just use a perceived effort level? Do you time the duration of your runs?
Yes, I time all of my runs. Knowing the distance of a particular run isn't all that important (although I do record this also). But I like to compare times run over the same routes, and have my own set of "course records" for the routes I do reguarly. Take a glance at the blog. I think that what I've said is more-or-less illustrated there.

BTW, I thought the hourglass reference was very funny. :cool:

But HOW DID YOU KNOW?:((

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm a minutes per mile fiend, I need to compare all my relative speeds and see what progress I'm making. And then, preferably, lark around in MS Excel for several hours making a huge, detailed spreadsheet with graphs and clicky bits to demonstrate how little progress I'm making instead of just going for a darned run :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts