Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel like a one woman question poster at the moment but there you go! I'm just getting my first pair of running shoes going and they are comfortable, but, I've developed a blister on the back of my left heal. Running is too uncomfortable, or, I could but it would make it even worse:( . Today I cycled instead which was great (apart from the torrential rain, I swear people laughed at me as they drove past). Question is, I read somewhere that surgical spirit is good for healing blisters, am I right? can I do anything else to help healing along? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hi Poppyseed... there are two issues here

firstly how to heal you blister.. there is a product called Compeed that both protects blisters from further damage while running, and helps to prevent blisters from forming in prone areas on your feet.

Some people use surgical spirit, but personally I think that's a bit harsh on the skin.

The second issue is why you have got this blister reletively so soon after starting to run. You said that your runners are comfortable, which is good, but have you got them laced up tight enough so they don't slip on your heel at all? It could also be your socks...some socks aren't good enough to run in. you can also get ergonomic socks that are fitted for left and right feet. They can be a little pricey but are worth it for the health and comfort of your feet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compeed suggestion. I think perhaps I haven't laced my shoes as tightly as I could have. The sock issue is useful to know, I will suss out some decent ones; Thanks all:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I suffer from blisters on the arch of my foot, only the right foot though! and Compeed are very good for healing them quickly!.

I will try tightening my laces to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone. Got some Compeed today and the plasters are quite fantastic; was able to run with no discomfort. have also got some decent socks so, hopefully, I should minimise problems in future. I guess problems occur in part when, as is often the case, our feet vary in size slightly; my right foot feels completely snug and comfortable with no suspicion of a blister, unlike the left.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts