Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite recently I was in a sports shop and saw a service offered that I think would take a profile of your feet and make a pair of running shoes for you.

I cannot remember the name of the shop but it was in Bluewater (Kent) and possibly it was an Adidas-based service. Has anyone come across this or got any experience of it?

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I heard of a similar thing being done at Harrods I think... though I've no idea how good it is?!

How much does it cost at the place at Bluewater? Unless it's something incredibly obscene (>£500+?) I'd imagine it'd be a case of using a standard trainer and then giving you custom insoles/orthotics in them and marketing them as 'custom shoes'.

That said, I can't see the benefit of a full custom shoe considering how much it's likely to cost - surely a custom orthotic would do just as good a job for a lot less? (though I still doubt it'd be cheap!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve said:
Also shoes only last between 400-500 miles so cost would be prohibitive for most of us.
Thanks for the replies. I am a light (as in distance) runner so it would take me a while to clock up that mileage. However, I will remember that figure, thank you, it will be useful. I will have a look next time I am there and enquire futher.
After I mentioned a sore knee joint, a friend recommended a physio practice that deal with more professional sports people and from their charges I reckoned it would cost £400 plus to get the inserts. When you calculate the cost of consultation (central London), the cast, the fitting etc it adds up. So to find a cheaper alternative would be good.
Mind you, if you are not aware of the service I would suspect that it has not been widely used nor maybe recommended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts