Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me why I gasp for about 2 miles and then CV comfort kicks in, very comfortable in fact. This tells me that I should train harder EXCEPT my legs won't let me and this is very frustrating as I am now going BACKWARDS with my times.:evil::suspicious:

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Quite a few people have reported struggling in the early stages of a run as well as legs that cannot keep up. Myself included.

I don't know about the start but I reckon my legs are catching up slowly.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
When I started running, my CV was always ahead of my legs. It's only in the past year that they are more in tune. Now it's the CV that stops me running any faster. You just have to get the miles in your legs, which may mean running at a slower pace but for longer.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Agreed with the above... running puts quite a strain on the legs, and if it's something your body's not used to you tend to find the CV side of things fairly comfortable but the legs just don't respond... at least it shows you have CV fitness though!

When I started my CV was terrible, as were my legs, but slightly less so. CV soon improved and legs were flagging, now I'm the same as JBBury in that it's my heart and lungs stopping me going any faster while the legs are quite willing!

Obviously this is likely to vary depending on the distance you're running/racing (longer distances being seemingly more muscle based than CV based).

·
Registered
613 Posts
snap for me too, i know i'm generally fit and can sustain a good high heart rate for an long time.....but that's on a bike, where i've been training and racing regularly.
Now i'm running i want to push the HR average up to my time trial pace but i just cant get there and maintain that even steady beat. Having said that I agree it will come, I'm now about 6 weeks and minimum 20 miles a week plus a bit of cycling/spinning and it's happening, gradually, good luck.

craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts