Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Started cycling to and from work about 2 weeks ago to compliment marathon training (thinking any extra exercise would be good) but have developed really bad lower back pain. Any clue how to prevent it?

My journey isn't very far, 2.7 miles each way. And I go on the Boris bikes....try not to go in too high a gear but they're not the most advanced bikes so if I drop down a gear I don't move very far.

I'm thinking it must be due to my posture or something on the bike, but not sure what my posture should be...any advice?! In lots of pain (muscle aches and stiffness, not bone pain) and very grumpy :(

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
It's probably bike fit.

Sit on your saddle with the pedals in the 6 and 12 o'clock position.

Put your heel on the lower pedal, and your leg should be almost straight.

Give that a try first.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm I thought that might be he problem. It's not 100% straight, got a bit of a bend. I found if I had h saddle any higher though I feel off whenever I stopped as my feet couldn't touch the floor!

As you can probably tell my cycling confidence isn't great, before 2 weeks ago I hadn't got on a bike since I was a kid, so am a bit nervous. Maybe after a few more goes I can raise the saddle a bit. thanks for the advice! :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
hi

I presume you are talking about riding bikes in general and not just the Boris bike?

eddie's right with the HEEL on the pedal guide to approximately setting seat height.

you want to be pedalling fairly freely/quickly in whatever gear you are in and NOT REALLY pushing down hard each revolution. Generally a faster pedalling technique puts the emphasis a bit more on the heart rather than the legs (which is a good thing AND THAT WILL HELP YOUR MARATHON TRAINING A BIT).

you can get a bad back from reaching too much ... but I suspect on any upright bike such as a Boris that won't be the problem.

I git a bad back from having the seat too high and reaching too far forwards on a bike that was too big for me (agony)

your feet almost certainly should not be able to touch the floor if you are sitting on the seat...that's how kids bikes are sized :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm I thought that might be he problem. It's not 100% straight, got a bit of a bend. I found if I had h saddle any higher though I feel off whenever I stopped as my feet couldn't touch the floor!

As you can probably tell my cycling confidence isn't great, before 2 weeks ago I hadn't got on a bike since I was a kid, so am a bit nervous. Maybe after a few more goes I can raise the saddle a bit. thanks for the advice! :)
It never wants to be 100% straight so that your legs are locked out completely. You need around a 10 degree 'bend' if you can call it that.

It may well be the length of the reach - the horizontal reach of your arms to the handlebars. It needs to be right - too long and you get pain and too short you can end up cramped.

It's definitely a bike fit thing - something which doesn't agree with your bio-mechanics.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its definitely not the height of the saddle, I think I have about a 15oC so not over stretching. Could go a little bit higher but I like to be able to touch the floor with the very tip of my toes when sat down.

It could be the leaning thing, plus I wear a backpack so its putting extra strain on my back.

My quads and glutes aren't used to cycling too, and I'm not used to balancing etc, so I think my back is just working extra hard. Like I said, its just a tight achy feel rather than bone pain.

I think it may also be down to just too much exercise. I've gone from running 3-4 times a week, to cycling every day and running 3-4 times a week. My glutes, hamstrings, hip flexers and calfs are all in pain and feeling very tight, so I think it could be to do with that as well. Foam rolling and stretches whenever possible should help with that!

Back is slightly better this week - probably the stretches, so hopefully I can work through it, and then itll ease off when my body gets used to it me trying to kill it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts