Runners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first week of cycling to work. Got to say despite it being pretty wet I've loved it. Its not far just around 3.5 miles each way. 1 set of lights just after setting off and then smooth sailing all the way. It's actually quicker than my previous trips on the train.

See how long I can keep this old bike going before I have to invest in a new one.
Any other bike commuters on here? How can I prevent a sweaty back?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
3.5 miles- don't you run it? I was doing the cycling commute early in the summer. our village is at the top of a big hill (you don't see many towns on top of hill do you?!) so it was down hill all the way to the sawmill - hard work and a very steep continual climb all the way home- no flat at all. I ran it a few times too.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to run home quite regular. But I'm in my feet all day, don't really want to run after 10/or 12 hrs. There aren't any shower facilities either so dont like running to work. I'm the sweaty type.

·
Registered
226 Posts
How can I prevent a sweaty back?
From a rucksack? Panniers, or a basket. I have the latter (it's black, not wicker!) and it works well for me, at least, but nobody else ever seems to want a basket...

You might just want a bag with better venting. I don't like cycling with a pack, but Lowe Alpine do some really good ones for hiking, at least. See the last video on this page for an example http://www.lowealpine.com/airzone-quest-nd30

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From a rucksack? Panniers, or a basket. I have the latter (it's black, not wicker!) and it works well for me, at least, but nobody else ever seems to want a basket...

You might just want a bag with better venting. I don't like cycling with a pack, but Lowe Alpine do some really good ones for hiking, at least. See the last video on this page for an example http://www.lowealpine.com/airzone-quest-nd30
Yes. Its a running backpack so pretty well ventilated. I certainly won't be attaching a basket. Lol. Panniers maybe the answer. Havnt quite got the hang of how much clothing to wear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Haha, thought not! Panniers are a good option, getting the pack off your back will make a big difference.

·
2,698 Posts
I started cycling about a month ago. I don't do it every commute as I run home three nights a week, but I manage six rides a week of 7.5 miles. I much prefer it to getting the tube, much quicker, although we'll see how that opinion changes when the weather worsens. Like the_doctor I live on a hill so it's a nice easy ride in to work, but a slight slog home. Especially when I ride over to the local running track and have to cycle back up the hill after a session! :wacko:

For the sweaty back, I have a Deuter Compact Air EXP which has a kind of frame keeping most of the bag off your back and works really well. The only draw backs are the cost, and that the frame can dig a little if the bag is really stuffed full - but I do mean absolutely crammed I've only had it happen once or twice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I cycle home from work one evening a week and cycle in the next day its fourteen miles, when the weather gets bad I leave the car in a carpark over night and cycle half I start work at 7.15 so wouldnt want to do it every day.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Set off with slightly less clothing than you think you need, you will soon warm up. And at 3.5 miles each way don't race it as your body won't ha e time to warm up so will end up doing yourself damage. Have some baby wipes at your desk to freshen up a little even you get there too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just started cycle commuting two weeks ago and I am loving it! Out of running action with tendinitis, I have been like a caged tiger for the last couple of months.

Hijacking the thread a bit, anyone had to up how much they were eating when they started cycling to work? My Garmin has me down as using up 1600+ calories a day now. I need to lose 3-4 kgs, so I had been planning on not really eating back my calories, but bonked on the hill up to work on Friday, as I think I really hadn't eaten enough on the Thursday. Any advice on how many of those calories burned to eat back? Always worried that these things overestimate how much you've burned.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Add the amount of calories burned through exercise to your BMR and subtract about 500 from the total and that will give you a reasonable but not extreme deficit.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm about to hit the cycling commute properly and average 4/5 days. I've put it down on Jantastic to try and motivate me on the crappy days when the car is calling! It's only 11km but it will be running when I get there on Tues and Fri with Mon and Wed gym and swimming.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wish I could get back on my bike but it's still a tad freezing and still too much grit on the road.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm about to hit the cycling commute properly and average 4/5 days. I've put it down on Jantastic to try and motivate me on the crappy days when the car is calling! It's only 11km but it will be running when I get there on Tues and Fri with Mon and Wed gym and swimming.

Just found this from January. Unbelievably I've actually kept up 4 days a week for 8 months! I've cycled with snow on the ground, several degrees below zero and 30+. High winds, driving rain, crazy motorists, idiots with dogs and muppets on shit MTBs have all been successfully dodged so far. I've had two punctures (both Monday mornings in the rain!) and four broken spokes resulting in a wheel rebuild by Cannondale. I'm definitely fully converted to it now. Particularly after I realised I could have a lie in and not stress it about the traffic.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just found this from January. Unbelievably I've actually kept up 4 days a week for 8 months! I've cycled with snow on the ground, several degrees below zero and 30+. High winds, driving rain, crazy motorists, idiots with dogs and muppets on shit MTBs have all been successfully dodged so far. I've had two punctures (both Monday mornings in the rain!) and four broken spokes resulting in a wheel rebuild by Cannondale. I'm definitely fully converted to it now. Particularly after I realised I could have a lie in and not stress it about the traffic.
Top work Matt. Wish i could keep up to it. Very much on and off for me. I probably average 3 days a week, its better than nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts