Runners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
the winner of hawaii ironman this year averaged 26mph over the 112miles.
as far as i know there is no one in the UK who could come close to that.

sub 30mins over 10miles is a reasonable time for an ameteur, the big boys get down toward 20mins.

i'd be happy with 20mph up to olympic distance..... and ecstatic beyond that, ;-)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
my current 19mile commute on clunky old MTB (with slicks) and loaded panniers takes on average 1:15 to 1:30 (depending who i'm riding with) .... the record is somewhere short of 1:09 (would have been faster but the traffic holds me up in town).

·
Registered
419 Posts
At Windsor tri I managed 1:12 for 42 km (so just under 22mph) - and that's a mid-pack time for a bloke... the leaders were well under an hour - see full results here - http://www.humanrace.co.uk/results06/w06age.html

At Almere I did 3:50 for 120km (so just under 20mph - but that did include a pee stop and a snog stop?!)

But please bear in mind that just like with running, the speeds you cycle at in training are generally much less than you do when racing - I think most local chain gangs seem to head out for 16-18mph rides - and I'm lucky to average 15mph on my local solo routes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Laurence harding is a strong cyclist, but just look what the bike did to his run. I'd average 27mph for 40km at the moment in a Triathlon but it would have to be a flat and fast course. 20mph is alright for a beginner triathlete as long as you can run strong off the bike.

If you can run within 1min30 of your PB for 10km off the bike then you're about right.

Al

·
Registered
18 Posts
26mph over 112miles? Wow, that's impressive. Didn't expect to be that fast.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
am doing the commute on my road bike at the moment.... slightly shorter route of 18.5miles took 1:03 on the way home..... and 1:15 on the way in cos i'm not a morning person!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
How fast do triatheletes generally run the 10k? I'm just curious to know if I'm faster than the average - above average triathelete. I'm not competitive, honestly.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
in a race ? or straight off ?.

i'm not a regular runner over 10k... but my PB is 40mins.... in a tri maybe 45.
on a sprint i've managed sub 20 for 5k

stadtler recently ran 1:11 for a half marathon at the end of a half ironman ... (eeeep)

·
Registered
8 Posts
ed_m said:
sub 30mins over 10miles is a reasonable time for an ameteur, the big boys get down toward 20mins.
The new competition record is something 18m45s :eek: :eek:

I am happy with around 25mins for a ten but whether that will suffer now I am running too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i am new to running but a regular cyclist mostly 10 and 25 mile tt's.
in most open events on sporting (i.e. not dual carriageway) courses but more around the lanes or closed circuit with drags and bends, to get in the top 50% a 10 time of under 25 minutes and a 25 time of under 1:03mins is about the target.

we all try to get under the hour for a 25 but it's tough for "average riders" especially i suppose if you have just ran 3 miles.

to reverse your question, what time would the ave runner do his/her 5k in under duathlon conditions, i tried it once and managed 21:50.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I suppose it depends what you'd class an average runner to be! lol. Best bet is to look at some duathlon results, see what sort of cycle times are people are managing, and look at those who cycle with a similar ability to you - that should be a fairly good target to aim for?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think when it comes to cycling speeds theres 2 very important factors to take into account:

1: The course and 2: The Wind!! (I really hate 2):)

I was out on a 100k training cycle on Saturday and was hitting an average of 20 / 24 mph on the way out (I was delighted!), when I reached my turn around point it became painfully obvious that I'd have to cycle into the wind most of the way back...

I wont be posting my average speed for the return journey!:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts