Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys iv just bought a new mountain bike as i was advised that cycling was a good low impact activity to do on rest days and iv been loving it as i feel my leg muscles are getting a great workout at the end of it and i dont seem to ache the next day.

HOWEVER the last three days combined iv done roughly 40 miles mixed on/off road cycling and now my knees are hurting i read another thread regarding knee injurys and remember something being said about the IT band. i never got this pain when i started running, only after these cycling sessions.

Basically i just wanted any inpuit, has anybody else experienced this scenario and is there any advice on how to combat it, the miles i have done this week havent been too hardcore mainly flat with one or two first gear steep hills.

Thanks in advance guys :d

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
how is your position on the bike ?
is the saddly set to the right height ?
what kind of pedals are you using ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my saddle is set nearly level with the handlebars so high enough so i have to hunch forward slightly, as for the pedals:confused: errr theyr black and plastic :confused:
i think that maybe my legs arent extending enough on each pedal stroke i may need to get a longer seat base as the current one i have seems to be just shy of perfect height

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
dan_done1 said:
i think that maybe my legs arent extending enough on each pedal stroke i may need to get a longer seat base as the current one i have seems to be just shy of perfect height
saddle height was what i was thinking might make your knees ache if too low, i have a dodgy left knee so an quite sensitive to that.

handlebar to saddle height difference is more likely to cause back & shoulder aches.

re: pedals i was just checking you didnt have fancy clipless things.
for standard flat pedals you should have the ball of your foot over the pedal axle, maybe a little infront of it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sit on your bike and put your heel on the pedal, your leg should be straight. When you then put the ball of your foot on the pedal there should be a slight bend at your knee, this is the hight your seat should be.

Not having your seat at the right hight will damage your knees.

All the power you need to push the pedals will be coming from your knee rather that your thigh muscles.

I suffered from sore knees while out cycling and the bike shop told me the seat was in the wrong position. After it was adjusted no more problems.

I hope I have made sense.

·
Registered
78 Posts
littlered said:
Sit on your bike and put your heel on the pedal, your leg should be straight. When you then put the ball of your foot on the pedal there should be a slight bend at your knee, this is the hight your seat should be.

Not having your seat at the right hight will damage your knees.

All the power you need to push the pedals will be coming from your knee rather that your thigh muscles.

I suffered from sore knees while out cycling and the bike shop told me the seat was in the wrong position. After it was adjusted no more problems.

I hope I have made sense.
Sound advice; I would stick to cycling on roads where the cycling is much more stable and you don't have to shift your weight going over obstacles; I'm no expert, mind.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The muscles used for cycling do tend to pull your knee cap in the opposite direction to the ones used when running.

If you look at a cyclists knees and then a runners knees you would notice this.

It could just be that you are doing too much to soon on your bike,and you are using muscle motion that your legs aren't used to yet.
So like you would with running, just build up your miles gradually.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I was taught to sit on the saddle and adjust it until you can just touch the ground with both toes at a stretch. Lock the saddle of and you will be at the right height. If the seatpost comes out you will have to get a longer post.

This method has worked for me since I was a nipper

Giles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts