Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys as i said on my other thread , i am out injured at the mo with what i am told by my doctor is plantar fascia (pain to the inside of my side arch) ,since i been injured i have had countless people tell me to cycle instead to compensate for all the miles i was doing per week.

So i got out my old trusty 1998 team marin,blew the dust of it and off peddling i went, i just couldn't get in to it or enjoy it the same as my running , i did my 10K run on the bike flat out and hardly broke a sweat :(
Is it me or is it when your on a bike you need to go 8x the distance at 8 x the intensity to like a quarter of the work out as running ? or am i missing something :confused:

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I find cycling harder than running but then I live in a really hilly area and I am either cycling up a very steep hill or trying not to lose control as I whizz down a steep hill.

It took me a long time to get into cycling but I persevered because I wanted to give triathlon a go but I only started to really like it when I was unable to run because of a stress fracture.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will have to give it another go Claire , thing is i just don't find it as appealing or gruelling .
Is calories burnt the same as if you run ??

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I do a little cycling and find cycling a lot easier than running . I cycle on rest days sometimes as it uses a few different muscles than running so gives your running muscles a rest !

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I just sold my old Raleigh aero pro burner last year so im bike less! However had a go on my mates Turbo sunday and he slammed it on full tilt!! Jesus its hard going can't remember it being so hard going!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
i will have to give it another go Claire , thing is i just don't find it as appealing or gruelling .
Is calories burnt the same as if you run ??
I'm afraid I have no idea about the calories thing. You would have to go much further on a bike to get the same workout as a run, but I wouldn't think it would be as much as 8 times as far! I think if you work hard throughout the cycling you should get as much benefit from it as the same amount of time spend running.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you want to Maximise the benefits without spending hours in the saddle the find a big hill and go for it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Far from just sitting down, getting up out of the saddle from a sprint or tackle a sharp climb!!!!! Love it!!! It's as easy or as difficult as you make it.

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
Now this is a thread that I can speak on with some recent experience.
Got a bike through the bike-to-work tax scheme last Autumn, more for the fun than anything at the time but I'm totally hooked. It definitely works to make you fitter but in a different way to running.
Allow me to explain...
First few outings were to learn to cycle again, I'd forgotten how much I loved cycling as a teenager! and of course to get used to the clipless pedals and new fangled gears and high-pressure tyres.
I found that in order to burn the same calories as running I'd have to make spins 3X as long as runs but in recent weeks I've been going for longer spins on Saturdays and I've found that by the time I get home I'm absolutely famished.
I can run for an hour or even 2 and need no more than a banana and a drink of water to tide me over until my next meal but last weekend I learnt sooo much about cycling...
Got up Sat morning, waited as the roads were very icy so had a breakfast of cereal, boiled eggs, toast, OJ and coffee. I threw a tenner in my pocket and struck off for a 3-hr spin at 10:30.
Half-way round and with the worst of the hills behind me I made a SERIOUS mistake...I, instead of stopping for a planned coffee and scone, opted to crack on and get home as it was nearing lunchtime but the next 20 miles were through the country and devoid of shops, cafe's etc - It was absolute torture.
I found myself craving chocolate, ANYTHING! I was empty and getting tired. My reactions were slow and judgement was becoming obviously impaired due to low energy.
Finally made it home but was absolutely wasted. I couldn't think of anything but food. I broke into a selection box that was hidden form the kids after Xmas and demolished half of it before taking to the shower and then lunch.

Technically I Blew Up and later learned that it happens to all cyclists, and quite often too it seems. The recommended 'thing' is to eat something for every hour on the road, like a scone or bar or something, as well as staying hydrated.

With this in mind I had a chance to get out yesterday and went off for a 23-mile spin. I threw a chocolate bar in my jacket and found myself rooting for it at a set of traffic lights after 20. Wolfed my dinner and more snacks too only to find that when I did a calorie count for the day I still had a deficit of over 250.

I suppose my point is that cycling will burn calories and in many ways it's like running because it burns weight differently in different effort zones. It furthermore works different muscle groups and another big plus I've found is that on rest days from running it's a great way to get out and burn some fat but it also seems to fix stiffness and niggles from running.

In short, cycling IS good for you. It works in a different way to running but the end result is the same...A fitter and leaner YOU! the 2 sports compliment eachother well and I believe, anecdotally, that runners can gain more form cycling than the other way-around.
(Did I mention the distances covered and the scenery to enjoy on a trip out?)
The down side is that you do need to do long distances and so spend a lot of time cycling but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Great post John... I cycled before I started running and I believe its those 2 years in the saddle that allowed me to lose weight and condition my body to be able to run. Its all good for you at the end of the day :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cant beat a 60 mile (except with a 70 or more miler) Sunday morning cycle round North Yorkshire with the club in summer, round the reservoirs and up into the national parks and moors totally different experience to running.
Definitely take food, soreen is ace, banana, sports drinks.
Eat a little roughly every 20mins to avoid bonking, cos when it happens you know about it, probably something you need to experience before you get the full idea!!!!

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
Great post John... I cycled before I started running and I believe its those 2 years in the saddle that allowed me to lose weight and condition my body to be able to run. Its all good for you at the end of the day :D
Thanks! Apologies for the length of the post but it's all current and very real at the moment!

·
Administrator
3,083 Posts
Cant beat a 60 mile (except with a 70 or more miler) Sunday morning cycle round North Yorkshire with the club in summer, round the reservoirs and up into the national parks and moors totally different experience to running.
Definitely take food, soreen is ace, banana, sports drinks.
Eat a little roughly every 20mins to avoid bonking, cos when it happens you know about it, probably something you need to experience before you get the full idea!!!!
Yeah Tommy, I had seen videos on YouTube about 'bonking' but never realised how easily it can happen. Lesson well-learnt!
It's amazing how this differs for running!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did my 10k run route on my mountain bike tonight,the runtastic app said i burnt 700 cal , how accurate is that ? when i did the same before and i accidentally put in road bike instead of mountain bike it told me i only burned 280 cal ? :confused:
Usually when i run a 10k it tells me i have burned over 1000 cal .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello neighbour!

I'm also injured (achilles tendinopathy) and looking into other forms of cardio. :'(

I've only cycled once since my early teens and that was an 11 mile forest route. It took me ages to get the hang of it again and I was quite literally terrified so no roads for me, I'll be peddling away in the gym instead, yaaawwwn. Not sure it will be entirely feasible with my injury anyway, I might be safer swimming for now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello neighbour!

I'm also injured (achilles tendinopathy) and looking into other forms of cardio. :'(

I've only cycled once since my early teens and that was an 11 mile forest route. It took me ages to get the hang of it again and I was quite literally terrified so no roads for me, I'll be peddling away in the gym instead, yaaawwwn. Not sure it will be entirely feasible with my injury anyway, I might be safer swimming for now.
Hello mate , i guess anything is better than nothing , but i don't know weather i would get bored sitting on a bike in a gym or swimming up an down a pool like mobydick :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts