Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right, at the moment, i can only go out for running 3 times a week max, and that 2 at the weekend (busy with exams and revison) and i just got a my dads old exercise bike, and his road bike.

what would the best way to use these for running fitness. obv, running would be best but i really have no time to do long runs. also for the next 10 weeks or so i have a 8km bike ride to work with some pretty small hills, but even so.

advice anyone?

cheers

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Would it be possible for you to substitute a couple of the cycles to/from work for runs?
Eg. Cycle to work >> Run home. Then next day run to work >> cycle home. I know of someone who used this method to very good effect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could but there two main problems, one is that i pick fruit, which is suprisingly labourous and the second being that theres no where really lock a bike up other than a tree, which is fine whislt im watching it but i wouldnt be too happy leaving it overnight, and its not really a quit road so im pretty sure it would get nicked. and its a nice bike.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Triathletes use brick sessions, which is basically a bike ride followed straight away by a run. You could cycle on the excercise bike, then follow that with some road running outside.

If you google for "brick sessions", you should be able to get some training sessions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i feel like im just poking holes in ideas now, but the good thing about the ex. bike is that i can do a long session and do revsion at the same time, its a lazy way to do it but i works.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
TDT said:
i feel like im just poking holes in ideas now, but the good thing about the ex. bike is that i can do a long session and do revsion at the same time, its a lazy way to do it but i works.
Great thinking, kill two birds with one stone!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeh, the thing is that i can spare about 20 mins during the day and that means getting up 30 mins earlier anyway whichisnt something i like doing on a exam day and since im trying to do longer runs and lose some excess weight( you can buy lightweight gear but i think that losing weight basicly free and much better) and i can go further on a bike and thus, i think burn more calories even if i meens a low freqency running patern for a 4 weeks.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Speak to Mr team-lewis for advice on cycling and fitness, I'd imagine a pro like him would be best for this!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts