Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey up people,

Does cycling help you with running at all? I'm a fairly keen runner and get around 6/6:30 min miles and was wondering if cycling once a week would help at all. I've got a fairly decent race bike and push myself at 180HR+ for around 30 mins on the bike.

Cheers

Haux

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Cross training isn't going to do any harm Haux.

A relative of mine is a good level of cyclist and has noticed big improvements since taking up running.

Maybe it will work both ways?

If your pushing yourself hard it will be equivalent to a good tempo/race pace run without the impact.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've been thinking about this, too... want to do something once a week just to take the strain off my joints.

I would think that cardiovascular exercise of any kind is surely going to keep up your fitness levels, anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard from a few people it really builds your quads which is where i seem to be suffering atm. I've got really good breathing but my leg's just wont go any faster than a 5:50 mile lol.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I heard from a few people it really builds your quads which is where i seem to be suffering atm. I've got really good breathing but my leg's just wont go any faster than a 5:50 mile lol.
5:50 mile not to be sniffed at, mind!

I know that when I do get back on the bike my legs end up feeling like spaghetti no matter how much running I've been doing - it definitely uses different muscles and I don't doubt that it's great for the quads. I remember doing a really hilly 5-mile once and my quads were absolutely burning! So looks like we could both benefit from a bit of biking, who knows? :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well peeps, did a 10 miler last night and got in at 28:38, I'd of nailed a 26min time but my chain came off on the final descent so i had to role to the bottom, put my chain on then cycle up the next hill to the finish line -_-.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
there was something in latest runners world that said 30seconds sprinting 3 times a week is the same efford as 1hr cycling 5 times a week... dont know how much truth there is in that though

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
there was something in latest runners world that said 30seconds sprinting 3 times a week is the same efford as 1hr cycling 5 times a week... dont know how much truth there is in that though
yeah I read that too beasty,

if I remember they weren't specific about the intensity of the cycling that was required though.:confused:

·
Registered
635 Posts
I dont get the same from cycling as I do from running. Now dont get me wrong I love Petal (my bike) but I'd much rather go for a run than go out cycling.

But I do have to admit cycling through large puddles in the peeing rain is lots fun:lol::lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nah I usually run a 4 mile route along the canal. First mile 5:50ish, second is usually around 5:55 - 6:20 third I drop to a 7min mile and hit 175-180HR then the final mile a nice jog back with interval sprinting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Haux,

I took up cycling to work on and off this summer (doing my bit for the environment and adding to the training-everyone wins!) and have definitely noticed a difference. My car was in for repair all last week so cycled every day and my legs have definitely felt looser after running. I think doing some low impact cross training is good for your muscles as it's giving them a good workout, minus the intense impact running causes. But that's just my opinion!

Ollie

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I think doing some low impact cross training is good for your muscles as it's giving them a good workout, minus the intense impact running causes. But that's just my opinion!

Ollie
I'd be inclined to agree and hope to test the theory imminently :)

BTW, I thought your week's mileage was all running for a moment there until I checked :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd be inclined to agree and hope to test the theory imminently :)

BTW, I thought your week's mileage was all running for a moment there until I checked :eek:
Ha ha. Yeah I'm keen, but not that keen! Got forced into a lot of cycling this week with my car out of action. Bit crackered because of it, but hopefully I'll have calves of steel after this week! All help for the GNR training.... or so I hope.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
5 hours of cycling is equivalent to 1 minute 30 seconds of sprinting? Seems a little far-fetched. Unless their terminology of 'effort' means something other than what most people would think.

I cycle into work most days, and with the Garmin and HRM it says I burn approx 1,000 calories each way (14 miles each way - approx 45 - 50 mins dependant on wind direction :) ). So on a purely calorific calculation - is it suggesting 1 min and 30 secs of sprinting uses well in excess of 5,000 calories :wacko:

Back on topic though - any exercise is going to help your overall fitness, which can't do much harm when it comes to the running aspect. I guess the question is are you looking to substitute a run with a cycle, or would the cycling be in addition to your normal training?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think (going from memory) that the effect on blood vessel health was the same - reduction in stroke risk.
Wasn't calorie burn/weight loss etc

1 - 20 of 29 Posts