Runners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first post on the forum!!! I think it might be a 'dear diary moment'.

ok, so my first question that i would like your advice on is Dairy Free Recovery drinks.

I train pretty much everyday, between 1 - 1.30 cardio (hours run either speed or hill and 30 mins cross training or bike) and about 45mins weights. Then i do a long run 1 day a week of about 1hr30 - 2hrs. Anyway, my midweek training is afterwork so i dont get home till about 8.30 and dont really like eating to late. I would like to use Protein/ Recovery drinks, but i am on a diary free diet as it doesnt really agree with me. Most of the recovery drinks i have seen have milk of some variety in them.

Can anyone recommend an alternative??:d

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Short of looking at the ingredients of each recovery drink I don't really know what to suggest?!

Are you thinking of pre-mixed drinks or the ones that come in powder for that you mix yourself? I know there's plenty which mix with water, though that wouldn't avoid drinks with milk powder or similar in...

useless post eh? sorry! :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnaks for the responses guys, I meant the drinks that come in powder form and you mix yourself. Unfortunatly Whey is derived from cows milk, so i try to give that a miss.
The soya milk and honey sounds like a good try, do you find this gives you enough of the good stuff to help recovery??

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I have to admit, i'm always skeptical about replacing a meal with a drink :confused: If you're trying to save time, it really doesn;t take more than 5 mins to knock together a nice nutritious pasta dish using fresh pasta, or 10mins with the dried stuff!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jules, are you lactose intolerant or prefer not to consume dairy? there is a website called hammernutritionuk.co.uk that has a recovery drink (recoverite) and has a a couple of other products, (its newish over here but has been in the States for a while and has an avid following);
failing that as Richard says a good pasta dish with tomato based sauce, olives and a touch of chili does me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi Moche, yes im lacose intolerant. i will look on the website you suggested, thanks.
The problem isnt the time it takes to make it, its the fact that i then have to wait a while after i have eaten before i can go to bed and i hate eating late.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I'll quite happily stand corrected should my thoughts not be the case, but I'm guessing you have to wait a while before going to be because your food is digesting? If so then surely it should be the same regardless of whether the meal is in solid or liquid form...

UNLESS...
a) You're swallowing solids chunks of food, i.e. not chewing properly.
b) There is less nutritional content or certain food types are missing in the liquid meal replacement.

If the problem is a) then easy solution! if b) then surely one should question the benefit of replacing a meal with a shake if it's lacking nutritional content?

I'm not trying to say I'm right and anything else is wrong - but perhaps something to consider?

·
Registered
19 Posts
When it comes to your health, performance, and recovery...dairy is the devil. Stay away at all costs.

If you want a great post-workout protein drink try adding 2 tbsp of spirulina (which is a blue-green algae that has 3x more protein than meat per serving) to a glass of fresh squeeze orange juice.

I usually make this after some of my workouts or simply to start off my day. You can also add in some flax or fish oil for the added anti-inflammatory benefit from their beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.

You can get spirulina at pretty much any health food store.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
It might be worth checking out some soy-based protein supplements. You'll probably be able to find some on websites such as Monster Supplements.

It might be worhtwhile going into a store such as Powerhouse Fitness (not the electrical store!) and asking their advice on non-dairy products.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
probably because it comes from an animal and not the ground - pretty deadly I've heard! :rolleyes:

I think there's perhaps some truth in them being less effective in aiding recovery - but I can't see them doing any harm?! They do contain protein & calcium etc after all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
IN RESPONSE TO GRANT ABOVE...

Have you ever wondered why the human body stops producing the lactase enzyme at about 2 years of age?

Why are we the only species that drinks another species' milk? You don't see that anywhere else in nature.

Sure, milk is fine...for a baby cow!

Why is it that dairy is the #1 food sensitivity in the world??? And I'm not talking about lactose intolerance. Billions of people are also sensitive to the casein protein in milk.

If you're reacting to milk your body responds with inflammation and mucus production amongst many other serious effects.

I could go on and on but I'll just give you a quick example from an elite soccer player whom I train.

He removed dairy from his dairy for 1 month because he was complaining of a tight chest and feeling that something was "blocking". After just 1 week off the dairy and his breathing was back to normal, his performance through the roof, and his overall energy and vitality was unparalleled.

You decide.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I'll decide to keep on drinking milk.

I'm not too bothered that we are the only species that drink another species milk. And I don't think the fact we stop producing the lactase enzyme is a reason to stop drinking it.

Your professional footballer friend just goes to show that its a case of different stokes for different folks and you should eliminate food that you aren't tolerant of - and that choice should be made on an individual basis.

I'll go for the protein and calcium it provides me, as they will provide benefits in muscle and bone repair - and as I don't have an intolerence, I don't see that as being an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry Guys i didnt mean to start a Dairy War!!! I have some of the similar symptoms as the footballer you mentioned, TOrunner. As well as alot of stomach issues which i wont share on here!! I agree with what your saying regarding dairy, but also understand that not everyone will feel the same. But I do wish that it wasnt so hard to find non - dairy alternatives.

Thanks very much for all your responses, i have been trying the chocolate soy milk and that seems to be working quite well as i blend it with a banana too.

I will try the Spirula too as that sounds like its good. Thanks very much for the advice. I would be interested to hear any more you have!

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Lol! Dairy War :d

TOrunner said:
Have you ever wondered why the human body stops producing the lactase enzyme at about 2 years of age?

Why are we the only species that drinks another species' milk? You don't see that anywhere else in nature
To the first point... nope! But since you mention it, the body only reduces the amount of lactase enzyme after about aged 2... those who stop producing it are those who are lactose intolerent. Of course my apologies my info is incorrect, but taht's how I understand the matter.

To the second point... I fail to see whre you're coming from, as far as I'm concerned we're the most advanced species on the planet - maybe the other animals should be drinking milk??! :rolleyes:

Was your football friend also the guy who improved his 5k time from 23mins to 18mins in 6 weeks listening to his mp3 player? :huh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts