Runners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here is my story. I started running last year. I started in Asics GT 2120's. These I think are the most comfortable trainers I had ever owned. However I only ever really ran 1.5 miles once a year in these (for fitness test) and used them for playing football in etc. They were old and tatty so I binned them and got some reebok premier ultra DMX, I can run in these trainers with no problems (half marathon). On pushing up the miles I decided I missed the cushioning of the Asics and that having been with asics before I would get another pair and so got Gel Oberon's. Shortly after that I read that these were only good for low miles and so thought to myself thats it, Ill do this properly and got Gait analysis carried out. The end result was that I overpronate and so was given Mizuno wave inspire 3 with inserts. The Mizonos cause my knee to become injured (10k). First time was bad. On trying the mizunos without the insert I got a warning in the knee (5k) and so have given up on these. Tonight I went out in the Asics and have a pain in the centre of my lower leg (1.5k). Basically what are the differences in these trainers and should i just stick to the reeboks?. Is there anything out there with similar cushioning to the asics?.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Something similar has been mentioned before, whereby someone has become injured as a result of changing from "neutral" trainers to "motion control" trainers after having been diagnosed as being an over-pronator. I remember the phrase used was something like:"... If it ain't broke... don't fix it..." meaning that even if someone does pronate, but are not experiencing any pain caused by this, then they really shouldn't use shoes that are going to try and make the feet/legs operate in a way they're not used to.
If all your ligaments, tendons etc, have had a life-time to get used to being "over-pronated"; then there's a chance that anything that tries to "correct" the "fault" will find them complaining at some point.:(

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the reply pedestrian. Im happy to stick with the style that works but I am now confused as to what that style is. The Mizunos I believe were at the upper end of support but I am now binning those. However I thought the Oberons and the Dmx were similar in their jobs and I thought that was support as well. I dont actually know what style I need to stick to to prevent problems.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I don't know anything about Mizuno shoes. What exactly are these "inserts" I keep hearing mentioned? Three of these in each shoe seems excessive (whatever they are...:embarrassed: ).

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
momorris said:
Well here is my story. I started running last year. I started in Asics GT 2120's. These I think are the most comfortable trainers I had ever owned. However I only ever really ran 1.5 miles once a year in these (for fitness test) and used them for playing football in etc. They were old and tatty so I binned them and got some reebok premier ultra DMX, I can run in these trainers with no problems (half marathon). On pushing up the miles I decided I missed the cushioning of the Asics and that having been with asics before I would get another pair and so got Gel Oberon's. Shortly after that I read that these were only good for low miles and so thought to myself thats it, Ill do this properly and got Gait analysis carried out. The end result was that I overpronate and so was given Mizuno wave inspire 3 with inserts. The Mizonos cause my knee to become injured (10k). First time was bad. On trying the mizunos without the insert I got a warning in the knee (5k) and so have given up on these. Tonight I went out in the Asics and have a pain in the centre of my lower leg (1.5k). Basically what are the differences in these trainers and should i just stick to the reeboks?. Is there anything out there with similar cushioning to the asics?.
A couple of points arise from your post you say you liked the asics 2120's designed for mild overpronators as the most comfortable why not go back to this model ?

The reebokdmx you have are for neutral to mild overpronators which like the 2120's don't cause you problems
The oberons are an entry level shoe
Sounds like those pesky inserts may be at the root of your problem

Hope you manage to get sorted !

Cheriton

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you say you liked the asics 2120's designed for mild overpronators as the most comfortable why not go back to this model ?
Initially it was down to cost. I got my first pair in the U.S. I didnt know if i would get so heavily into running so went for the reeboks in a sale. I am now into running so cost is no longer an issue. I think its 2120's for me then. I didnt know if they were for the same feet as the reeboks. so thanks for reasuuring me.

The oberons are an entry level shoe
I learnt that too late. I got them from JJB - big mistake.

Sounds like those pesky inserts may be at the root of your problem
That and the Mizunos themselves. Both are now confined to the scrap heap.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
pedestrian said:
Silver Shadows had a thread all to themselves a couple of weeks ago. See if you can hunt it down! :p
I know. I still have a photo of my first pair of SSs. They where my first pair of proper running shoes.:d

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ERM, I did. We get issued them at work for PT. I had a pair of white plimsols so got the silver shadows from our stores.

Edited to add - They would have saved me a fortune if I had liked them. I didnt. Found they dont really have the cushioning I wanted.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
momorris said:
They would have saved me a fortune if I had liked them. I didnt. Found they dont really have the cushioning I wanted.
I thought, at the time, it was like running on air when I donned my SSs:d

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a really interesting thread to me at the moment, as im having lots of injuries in my legs and lower back - and have recently in the last few months changed my running shoes.

Last year i had a pair of Mizuno Wave Achelmy 6, and this year the same again next model on, Achelmy 7.

Thing is, the build quality on them looks totally different. The material feels different, in fact, my new ones look cheap and tacky. Wonder if they are making them somewhere else or something?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts