Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
A question on pacing. I'm looking for 4 hours-ish. Am I better off aiming for a steady pace throughout (9 minute miles is 3:57 ish) or aiming for a slightly faster first half in the anticipation that I might :)eek: ) tire in the second half. If so, how much faster should I aim to run the first half in order to build a safety margin but not get totally knackered by half way?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Regarding pacing - Running a negative split is desirable, though in practice may be unlikely! Running as even paced as possible is more likely and even though you may slow down a bit, and the vast majority of people do, it shouldn't affect your finish time too much. If you are aiming for 4 hours, I would agree that running at 3.55 -3.58 pace could be the thing to. It gives a bit of time 'in the bank' but isn't wildly over ambitious.

Taking on fluids is vital, and especially early on even if you don't feel particularly thirsty or tired in the early stages. I would reccomend trying to drink at least 200ml of the carbo drink on the course at every station as well as water where possible. Also use the water sponges and showers to cool you down. It will all help later on.

Enjoy the first 16 miles but expect it to get hard in the last 10 and thats where your training comes in.

All the very very best of luck

·
Registered
419 Posts
Greg - just butting in here.... (situation normal)... Given it's your first marathon don't fixate about an artificial time barrier like 4 hours. Finishing on Sunday will be a huge achievement - we'll all be dead proud of you! Go off at a slow pace and aim to be in a position where the last 6 miles will be just a normal 10km run for you - they will hurt but don't (whatever happens) give in and walk - the pain will be much much worse if you do! You've definitely trained well - and that Cranleigh 21 experience will serve you really well on the day - good luck!

And remember that the faster you run in FLM06 will mean the faster you'll have to run in FLM07 to get a new PB - so think slow and steady :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the advice Dan and Holly.

H, the thinking is I'd rather go for 4 hours and fail than take it easy and think "what if..." afterwards...

·
Registered
9 Posts
The team has just been annouced for the European Championships in Gothenburg in August. I have been selected along with 4 others who qualified at London, with a place left open for Jon Brown. 17 weeks to go so the plan is to race a number of lower key races over the next few weeks and start my marathon specific build up towards the end of May. I will aim to follow a similar build up that I used before the Commonwealth Games, and hope to get to Gothenburg in similar or hopefully better shape!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts