Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to running, can manage about a mile, but I am tired afterwards. Legs dont ache, and after a little breather after finishing the run I feel fine. Am i okay to do this every morning, or should I be leaving a day in between each run?

Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi Steve
I started running about 12 months back, kicked off with three times every 7 days over distances up to 2k then up to about 5k and when I felt comfortable upped the frequency to 3 or 4 consecutive days covering distances up to 22k. I am now following a "proper" 1/2 marathon training program. I think the best option is just to do what feels comfortable. I guess it just depends on what you are trying to achieve, just to improve general fitness and loose weight or train for an event, the main thing is to enjoy it !

all the best
smithy

·
Registered
147 Posts
Steve87 said:
Hi all,

I am new to running, can manage about a mile, but I am tired afterwards. Legs dont ache, and after a little breather after finishing the run I feel fine. Am i okay to do this every morning, or should I be leaving a day in between each run?

Thanks
It is imperitive to have rest days.

Whe you work any type of muscle hard you get microscopic tears in the muscle fibre. When this repairs it repairs stronger.....you must have rest days to help this.

All heavy duty trainers have rest days. I currently have 2 a week.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
ah the old rest day discusion.

All those for stand to the left. Those against stand to the right.

Personally I go with how I feel. Tuesday is an enforced rest day as I have other commitments. The rest of the time I run daily unless my legs ache or my ankles hurt which indicates I am overdoing it. I then take a day of and return refreshed the following day.

Only you know what works for you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hrun said:

Personally I go with how I feel. Tuesday is an enforced rest day as I have other commitments. The rest of the time I run daily unless my legs ache or my ankles hurt which indicates I am overdoing it. I then take a day of and return refreshed the following day.

Only you know what works for you.
Feel it or not, its a really important factor in training.

People who dont follow it are insane.....and are on there way to a early grave, or being crippled.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I think it depends on the level of your training. I run for 30 minutes and have 23 1/2 hour recovery each day. I don't run very fast and on a flat treadmill.

<stands back and waits for the more experienced debaters>

·
Registered
147 Posts
dimple said:
and does it matter more for body builders as they do need to rest in order to repair the muscle.
More so for body builders, they tend to rest every other day. Thats due to the itensity of their work out.

I would argue that even if you run 30mins slow you still will require a rest day.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
My OH is a power lifter he always has rest days in between. I have 2 rest days a week but saying that I've carried on running this week with really sore muscles, and didn't run well because of that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
dimple said:
My OH is a power lifter he always has rest days in between. I have 2 rest days a week but saying that I've carried on running this week with really sore muscles, and didn't run well because of that.
Yeah powerlifters are the extreme end of the scale, some have 2 days....

.....ask him what he thinks about rest days, lol.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
no way he's always dictating to me, and well I just run away from him ha ha. He can't run either went out with him once and he was wooden and stiff

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hrun said:

I'm a good old fashioned leftie :d

I think 'listening to the body' is sound advice. If you're running a mile then doing it everyday shouldn't be too much of a problem... for a short while. But will the legs go from doing nothing to doing running daily...? Not so sure.

I'm all for rest days. It's hard to build up millage without rest days. And besides, if you don't need a rest day I don't think you've pushed yourself hard enough the run before ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run monday, Wednesday, Friday and Speed Training on Sunday, Rest is very important not just for your muscels but for general repaires - rest is just as important, imo but I have heard much more experiance runners run further and have much better recovery - but they have put the work in, for me I know my tendons arnt that strong and the rest is well needed..

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I found this old post from Pedestrian.

"My own best streak lasted for 14 years, 7 months and 10 days; and in that period I had my best running ever. NOTHING would stop me from running during that period! I went to some extremes to keep the streak alive as well..."

He added that the days after marathons were especially tough........:d

Hope you don`t mind Pedestrian.

Dave.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Dave said:
I found this old post from Pedestrian.

"My own best streak lasted for 14 years, 7 months and 10 days; and in that period I had my best running ever. NOTHING would stop me from running during that period! I went to some extremes to keep the streak alive as well..."

He added that the days after marathons were especially tough........:d

Hope you don`t mind Pedestrian.

Dave.

I don't mind at all, Dave. However, I was trying to stay out of this one, as it seems that every time the subject comes up, the same old arguments come to the surface, and with opinions being so divided, there's never any conclusion or real answer to the original question. View attachment 504 .

I'm currently running 11 times a week.
5 of those runs are hard/maximum efforts over a relatively short distance (4 at 3.1 miles, and 1 at 1.6 miles). The others are longer and easier (between 6 and 12 miles). Giving me a little over 60 miles a week... This mileage will increase slightly as I get fit enough to accommodate the extra.

...So, according to one source, I should now be certified as being clinically insane; be pricing-up funerals; or be laid up in hospital with multiple injuries.

Thing is... there are plenty of people out there who are training harder than this. They're the people you will find at the front in races. Training like that is what you have to do to get there. View attachment 503

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
My upcoming schedule has one day a week rest, based on 1 run per day... If I felt my body could take the extra work load I'd probably run on the day off too. I usually have to put in an unscheduled rest day from time to time anyway, either through other commitments, or on rare occaisions, playing it safe if I'm feling particularly fatigued.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seriously man I hear Macho men say to me 'I don't have rest days.' And I try to hide my cringe in my face when I hear it. True or not, may I reiterate on 2 words I have just read from some clued up runners. It is INSANE to not rest and it is certainly IMPERATIVE to progessing.
When you run or lift weights your muscles tear, they need REST and protein for recovery. However low intensity exercises like walking and swimming are benificial on rest days. PEACE OUT

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I don't know much but you won't see folk like Paula Radcliffe having rest days, and she will run at least twice a day.

I suppose if you build your fitness level up so you can cope with it there's no problem.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts